If there were no....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by snkenai, Mar 6, 2013.

1. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    If there were no forums, or other online posting opportunities, would you still be as avid photographer? (not sure about last sentence structure)?

My answer is:

Almost. Sometimes, something here will challenge me, to a higher standard, and I go out and try something. But for the most part, I just have that inward "need" to photograph. And yet not very many people ever see what I have done. I'm not sure I can explain, what is the essence of my compulsion.

Part is the equipment. I have always loved machinery. I like to make it "go/work". That's it's purpose. I am driven to get the best, that it has to offer. The photograph, is that "best", from the camera (machine). It is the evidence that I have done my part, in the machine's performance.

Part is the love of God's beautiful creation. Whether it be plant, animal or people. (And part of the beauty, is the ugly that is part of the decay, that in turn feeds the new beauty) The beauty is always changing, and will never be exactly the same as it is now. Photography gives us the medium to revisit, if we so desire. And even that is not quite the same as the original view/experience.

To the original question: Photography was a integral part of my life, long before computers or the internet!

So be sure to "look" as you photograph. Or, you will miss the real, for the image, which is never as good as the original! :th_salute:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I think I would but it would be different...

I too mostly love the process of photography. I love the looking/seeing/composing/shooting experience. I love the culling through a day's images part of the experience. And I love the creative part of the processing, as each shot takes shape and emerges from the digital chemicals and either turns into something I like or not. This part would not change.

I also love gear - I'm a gadget lover, whether we're talking smart phones, cameras, bicycles, espresso gear, guitar equipment, etc. I'd probably continue to enjoy the latest advances in camera technology whether online or not.

BUT.....

I can't deny that the reactions I get to my photographs online, both positive and negative and, mostly, just how a certain shot that I'd barely taken any notice of will stand out to my online friends and acquaintances and cause me to re-examine both those shots and the ones I liked that nobody else seemed to react to at all. I shoot for myself, but I can't deny that the feedback loop influences my thoughts and feelings about some of my work.

I also can't deny that the gear obsession part of the hobby is more fun for the interaction and discussions we have online. Both because of what I learn from others and the way others make me question my own assumptions and opinions and often come to see things differently. I enjoy it a lot more for the interaction and don't know how much less of it I might do if not for the online communities. I have to say, though, that in the days I was most into guitar equipment, when there WAS no "online", and in the early days of my bicycling and bicycle equipment obsessions when the internet was a pretty young and sleepy little place, I still found a way to get WAAAAAAAY into it, regardless of the lack of online community to reinforce it. I'd still pour through every possible magazine and book I could find, hang out too much in music shops and bike shops just to talk and listen to those more knowledgeable than me. And, actually, I was waaaaaay into photography back in the '70s and early '80s also, when none of this stuff existed, and I was still quite obsessed and into it. I even got a job selling cameras for several months between my graduation and getting my first professional job in my field.

So I guess I'd have to say, based on experience, I'd still be just as insanely into it as I am. The interactions and my sources of knowledge would be very very differently and less timely (jeez the Nikon "A" was announced, what, 36 hours ago, and now I know damn near everything I could know prior to actually handling one!). But the level of interest and involvement wouldn't be any less than it is. The process would just be somewhat different...

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  3. snkenai

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    Yeah, back in the day, I spent too much money on photo magazines, trying to learn all I could from the pros. And for the gear reviews and comments/recommendations.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    For me it would be different in that I will probably get stuck with Canons. :smile:

What brought me to the world of forums was really my cousin - on a trip to Washington several years ago he brought with him an E-PL1, which I didn't know about at that time. I brought a Canon Rebel. However, silly me I did not ask what model it was, only that it was an Olympus, so I googled and googled and even now I don't know how I found the E-PL1 just based on how I remember it looked like.

After that I read Steve Huff and then eventually mu-43. If not for the forums I wouldn't have known about the other Pens and what micro four-thirds is and how you can use Panasonics - the works. I wouldn't have known other options like the Nex and the Fujis. I probably would have been stuck with the E-PL1 and the kit lens, would have been unhappy with it eventually, and go back to Canon.

• Like Like x 2
  5. snkenai

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    I don't actually remember how I found the forums. I think maybe my daughters introduced me to Ebay, and somehow found my way here.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I would still be just as into photography without the forums. I'd just be doing it all by myself. The forums definitely help with information overload which can either help you find the gear that is right for you or so utterly confuse you that you never quite think you have the right kit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigTam

BigTam FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I found the forums while researching my first DSLR purchase in 2008. Many of them are very CaNikon-oriented, though.

Still, very useful after you sort the wheat from the chaff.

I find the Amin Sabet forums among the most helpful and polite; I avoid dpreview; the rest are in between.

8. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Like some have already mentioned, I was an avid photographer way before the "interwebs" existed, so yes, no question, I would be way into photography without them. That said, I have learned a lot more about formats I was not familiar with (mu43 back in 2010) and the more technical aspects of PP from forums; the biggest downside? Forums are the #1 cause of GAS!!!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  9. photogfollett

photogfollett FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    San Carlos, California
    John
    I have been photographing for 40 years, well before the internet. That being said...I'd still be passionate but photo forums have educated me greatly, from equipment reviews/information, to tips on how to be a better photographer, to immeasurable motivation and inspiration from viewing others images and points of view. Sometimes however, I think I spend far too much time on the forums instead of being out and taking photos....:shame:

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    Yep!
    I print quite a lot of 4x6s - very little of my work is posted online :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I would still be shooting because I had been before my kids, after my kids, even with disposable cameras. But there is quite a difference when you can share your images or even your experiences via forums and groups. You are blessed with the enrichment of many views and voices.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes; I was shooting long before the internet was even a glimmer in Al Gore's eye:D, and well into the digital age, I had no internet access. I'd probably spend more time in my darkroom and less on the computer, and overall would have less gear (forums do help feed my lust for gadgets of all kinds, cameras in particular.) It would be different. That said, the forums do help motivate me to just get out and shoot -- no excuses. So now that we have them, they've become very important to me -- especially this one, Serious Compacts, Mu-43, and the rangefinder forum.

• Like Like x 1
  13. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Yes, but. The art or craft is significantly enhanced when there are so many places to share, discuss and learn.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snkenai

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    This is why I started this thread. To explore what, how and why this medium affects our craft. And how much different it is, than before the "net" influence.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    If there were no forums/photo sharing sites/etc., I probably would not have learned as much as I have regarding photography, but I probably wouldn't have spent as much money doing it either.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    LOL! True dat.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Boy oh boy, I feel the same way as so many of you do. I'd still be into it but I have to admit that the stars aligned when our daughter went off to college and I met Amin, Ray... and so many others who are here now but I met so many over on Mu43...and there began my serious involvement with digital photography.

Having studied photography as an art student in college with all that color printing and developing...it had been many years since I'd enjoyed it as an art. So, truth be told I think that Mu43 and Serious Compacts and now our Xspot have brought me back into the world I'd removed myself from due to "the stuff of life" - and for that I shall ever be thankful for. Of course G.A.S.* attacks are a hazard.:wink_old:

*Gear Acquisition Syndrome

• Like Like x 1
  18. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I have to say almost certainly not - here's why I know:

1) I've been through multiple hobbies in my life, and the biggest reason why some last and some don't, is community. Even if it's just sharing it with a friend or fellow aficionado, interests for me don't survive in a vacuum. I need to talk about it, read about it, practice/experiment and share it. These forums let me do that with photography, since I don't have a local photo club or the like.

2) Before I joined some forums, I owned one m4/3 camera (GF2) and 2 lenses. I used it a bit for a big vacation trip, then let it sit mostly idle until I was inspired by a camping trip with a friend who's a pro photographer and decided to join mu-43.com and explore photography a bit more. Now I have a large collection of cameras and lenses, and a much lighter wallet :rolleyes:

I'm with Ray - the gear talk is a big part of the hobby for me. I'm a gear nut, whether it's camping gear, guitar gear, or cameras. Part of that is just that I like toys, but it's also because I spend the vast majority of my time working behind a computer. I can't get out to pursue my hobbies anywhere near as often as I'd like, so gear talk and research is a little escape and keeps the inspiration rolling in the meantime.

Lastly, I'm constantly inspired by the great photos others share, and by the commentary and feedback on my own work. That give and take is huge... there are times I've gone out and shot simply because I wanted to have something worthwhile to share with my fellow photographers :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  19. bobbywise

bobbywise FujiXspot Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    Nantes
    Robert Wisbey
    I think all forums should be banned, or should I be banned from all the forums?
    Regular Forum use = Regular GAS attack
    :D

On a more serious note, forums are great for learning, discussing, and exchanging ideas.
    They make the world a smaller place, where like minded people can discuss their hobbies, and I think that is great.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pelao

Pelao FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    GTA, Ontario
    Stephen, or Steve, or 'hey you"
    I post very little online. I prefer prints.

I like the learning and sharing of experiences online, and especially the connections made regardless of distance or borders. While I enjoy using and considering the gear, the gadget-like commentary wears me down.

I'd be shooting regardless of the forums.

• Like Like x 1