In need of diffuser recommendation for Fujifilm EF-42 flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Angkor Bo, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Angkor Bo

Angkor Bo New to FujiXspot

Jun 12, 2013
    Hi,

I am new to flash photography. Just received the Fujifilm EF-42 flash for my XE-1. It seems to work very well in TTL mode however, I do have just one problem- the flash is blinding! Not just blinding for the subject, but for the photographer as well! Can anyone recommend a good diffuser dome or something similar that can take care of the problem?

Regards,
    Angkor Bo

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Rather than use a diffuser, you may find that you do better by rotating the flash head to bounce the light off of a wall or ceiling of neutral color. There may be a little light loss here so use your judgement and dial in some flash exposure compensation if needed. There are some good tutorials here as well as some cheap solutions for blocking some of the light from hitting your subjects:

04 - bouncing flash - Neil vN - tangents and the black foamie thing .. - Neil vN - tangents

3. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    That is a great link, Eric! and a perfect solution for the SB-24 nikon flash as well. Thanks,
    Peter

4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    You're welcome - I'm not a huge fan of Neil's work, but his Tangents blog has a lot of good information on using on-camera flash

5. Angkor Bo

Jun 12, 2013
    Yes I am familiar with bouncing but the problem I am having is that the flash is blinding- both for the subject and for myself the photographer, no matter how I position it.

Regards,
    Angkor Bo

6. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    the wide angle diffuser doesn't help? are you shooting at full power? it's probably just the nature of the flash. maybe get a softbox.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

7. Angkor Bo

Jun 12, 2013
    Romi, I think you may be correct in that it may be just the nature of the flash. Thanks everyone for your help!

Regards,
    Angkor Bo

8. Angkor Bo

Jun 12, 2013
    I was shooting TTL mode at 1600 ISO and f/4 in somewhat dim lighting so the output was not that strong but still blinding.

Regards,
    Angkor Bo