Introduction and Hopefully a contest winning submission

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by Mitch, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Mitch

Mitch FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hi All,
    My name is Mitch and I found this site by listening to the SeriousCompacts podcast and then the mu-43.com site.
    Old to photography, New to Fuji (other than that 3D Camera I bought a few years ago). I'm a concert photographer and a photographer for the shooting sports.
    My full-time gig is running a pre-press department, so I'm always capturing images, or making the pixels cry in photoshop.

Normal rig is a Canon 5D Mk III, but I find that having a smaller camera is useful for certain types of photography, and sometimes the weight and mass of the full rig is enough to make my back and fingers hurt, so
    while the smaller cameras keep getting better and better, I find it fun to keep up with them. (Although buying glass for every new system is getting really old and really expensive).

I took the administrators suggestion and just bought an X-e1 with the kit lens. (yes I used the links through the site!).

Looking forward to getting to learn about the system. If anyone has any great advice for a FujiNoob, feel free to let me know. Otherwise thoughts on the 18 or 35 being my next lens purchase are also welcome!

Cheers,
    Mitch

• Like Like x 2
  2. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hey Mitch, welcome!

I'm guessing most of us will be learning more from you, heh.

I've found the X-E1 and 18-55 to be a great image grabbing machine, but I'm very new to it. I do mostly stills of scenery and the like.

One thing I have found - as "stock," the exposure is very sensitive to where you have the center pointed at as you push the shutter down half-way. I'm not used to that, but I've been using it to my advantage. I'm near certain it can be configured in other ways too, so I'll have to dig into the manual for that.

Other than that, the expert advice has been to shoot jpeg + RAW. But I'll guess that's something you already do. :)

Again welcome, and really look forward to seeing what you can pull out of the X-E1.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mitch

Mitch FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hey thanks Carl,

Yeah, I've been shooting Raw+JPG on every camera for quite some time. These RAW files off the X-e1 are a little confusing as Aperture on the Mac doesn't have a converter yet. (Wonder if they will).
    The shutter itself seems a little strange to me itself. The travel distance between pre-focus and a capture are very different from most other cameras I own.

Some of the images I've seen from the X series are really impressive, and really different than most other photographs, I guess due to the sensor. Looking forward to trying something new.

Mitch

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Hi and welcome Mitch, you can't go wrong with either lens, just choose the focal length you are comfortable with. I own the 35 and it's of of the best lenses I've ever used, and while I don't own or use the 18 some of the images I've seen taken with this lens are stunning.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Another welcome, Mitch - from the NY/CT area! Can't wait to see some of your photographs!