Is it just me...

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by Davoe, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Davoe

Davoe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 14, 2014
    NorCal
    I've been trying to generate more pleasing photos with a few RAW converters, but I can't get better than the JPEGs out of the camera! I bought C1 because of the favorable reviews, and spent a few hours with it and Aperture to make a better photo than the OOC jpegs.....I can't do it. Where can I get better training? Is my capability or are the jpegs that good?

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I would not recommend either Aperture or C1 as primary RAW converters for Fujifilm X users, especially not for those who want them to simulate the look of the camera's JPEG engine, including its DR function.

As mentioned in the RAW converter feature comparison in my X-E2 ebook, there are only 2 options that actually offer working film simulation presets: Lightroom/ACR and Iridient Developer. For C1, I think someone in the DPR forums made some presets, too, simulating the X-Pro1/X-E1 film simulations. Iridient also offers a nice rendering of the DR function with its recovery slider.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Davoe

Davoe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 14, 2014
    NorCal
    Thanks Rico, unfortunately, I bought C1 before I read your ebook.

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Whoa, why did you buy it? IIRC, you can download a free C1 test version that's fully functional for a few weeks. That's what I recommend for all RAW converters. Try before you buy, as your mileage may vary.

5. val

val FujiXspot Regular

Dec 27, 2013
    PhotoNinja has given me some good black and whites although the interface can be a bit infuriating

6. Mandemaker

Mandemaker New to FujiXspot

Sep 14, 2014
    Hi. New here.
    I'd recommend, if you're on a Mac, to look at Raw Photo Processor, too. For Fuji's Monochrome+Yellow film simulation, at least, I was able to create a workable preset in RPP with little effort. And the application is very capable. I also use Photo Ninja and Lightroom, but RPP is hard to beat for detail, colour handling, and (though the UI may be daunting at first) easy of use.

7. Davoe

Davoe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 14, 2014
    NorCal
    I'm now loving the output from C1. Beautiful colors and detail without a lot of adjusting.