Is just the X70 + WCL enough?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davidzvi, Jun 21, 2017.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi FujiXspot Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a one week vacation planned next month to the Seattle WA / Portland OR area and am actually thinking about just taking my X70 and WCL with me and leaving the reset home. I'm trying to figure out if I'm crazy.:coco: Landscapes, a little street stuff, maybe a zoo (yes I know I'd miss out here).

The rest that I would take:
    Panasonic GX85
    Oly 9-18
    Pan 12-32
    Pan 35-100 and / or Pan 45-175 or Pan 14-140 vII
    Pan 20 f/1.7
    Pan 42.5 f/1.7

2. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Other than the zoo, as you already pointed out, you would be fine. Yes, there may be a shot here or there you can't get. But overall you will be fine. I've gone in trips with just the x100 with great results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I should add that if you are a hard core landscaper, then you will want something ultra wide. But I guess of you are a hard core landscaper, you wouldn't travel without your preferred kit and filters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. davidzvi

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I do have a pair of circular polarize filters for the bare lens and WCL. But that's about it.

5. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Sounds like you would be set then.

6. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    For street, general documentary and landscape that is a great easy carry combo that is unobtrusive so people tend to ignore you. I have the X70 that I often use for street ( mix it with XP2+35mm) and have resisted the WCL as I do not want to increase the size of the kit due to bigger = more obvious.

I do agree that you would need a longer lens for portrait ( except environmental) and sport / zoo photos.

Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I took only the original X100 to Machu Picchu, and it was wonderful. It's tiny, it hung in a tiny bag on my chest strap, I never changed a lens, and I got shots I still love years later. I was surrounded by people with full frame canons, lugging and hoisting.

...and...

You should not let the fact that I didn't own anything else influence or color what I just said. It means I didn't have some amazing willpower (I didn't and I don't), and yet it's still a valid point. When you bring nothing else, you find a way of looking and thinking that is simplified, fast, and ultimately pretty effective, which is the point.

8094347316_d263682ff3_c. DSCF8032 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8094341527_815f9732a3_c. DSCF8068 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8094411296_4baf8f0a98_c. DSCF8177 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

8094402559_10096c2c6d_c. DSCF8469 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. drd1135

drd1135 FujiXspot Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I went up to New England this last week and just took the XT20 and the 27, my version of the x100f. There are times when a longer lens would have been nice but overall it was easy to carry and did a great job. I also have the x70, but I prefer a slightly longer lens on an"only" camera.

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    One of the things I like about the X70 is the built in TC, the results at 35mm and 50mm are really quite good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidzvi

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Well back from vacation. In general it wasn't bad.

Minor annoyances, having to change back and forth from RAW to JPeg for the TC and manually setting the WCL on and off. It would be nice if you could have those settings in a custom setting. There was only once that I forgot to set the WCL, but a few when I was shooting JPegs when I would have preferred to be in RAW.

Bigger issue, no IBIS/OIS and speed. There were several times it would have been really handy. We took two Segway tours and even while stopped some form of OIS would have been nice. I also tried to do a couple of handheld Panoramas, something I've done with my m4/3 gear, didn't work so well. There were also times that AF and general speed were just a little too slow. It wasn't an issue in general, but every now and then it was slow enough to notice.

I was hoping this trip would convince me to sell off the rest of my m4/3 gear for an X-T20 or wait for the X-E3. Now I'm not sure.

But here are a few from the trip.

Attached Files:

11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I can imagine that using that WCL would be anoying in practice. I think that's probably part of what kept me from ever getting one for the old X100. It's like changing a lens, but harder and slower. Even so, you got some good shots! I recognize Multnomah Falls, and Boneyard Brewery, I believe. Multnomah isn't far from me.

12. davidzvi

Apr 24, 2014
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Thanks. yes a bit like changing lenses. But in JPeg mode the digital TC still works and saves into the metadata the correct EQ mm.

It's Locust Cider in Woodinville, WA. Nice little place with a Cider house, a Brewey, and 3-4 wineries all in one place.

• Like Like x 1
  13. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Oooohhh, nice. There are a ton of great little spots like that out here, which makes life even better.