Is the X-E2's histogram JPEG-based?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by elemenoh, Apr 26, 2014.

1. elemenoh

elemenoh New to FujiXspot

Apr 26, 2014
    When shooting in RAW, is the live histogram still rendered based on a JPEG? If so, is there a rule of thumb for dealing with the delta between the preview histogram and what the sensor can actually capture in RAW?

I have an X-E2, but I'm curious if this applies to all X-series cameras.

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It's Live View based.

3. elemenoh

elemenoh New to FujiXspot

Apr 26, 2014
    But is that live view encompassing of all the data that will be in the RAW shot or a JPEG version (as Nikons do for instance)?

I guess what I'm asking is if the general "Expose To The Right" rule applies to Fuji X cameras (specifically the X-E2).

Thanks

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Live View is WYSIWYG.
    Up to a point.

For ETTR shooting, there are recommended JPEG settings (film simulation, contrast settings, DR settings). There's plenty of info on that in my books and free blog.

An optional "RAW histogram" would be nice, though. RGB would be even better. Maybe someday.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    To give you an example for the X-E2:

I'd use

Pro Neg. Std
    Highlight Tone -2
    Shadow Tone -2
    DR100%

to get the "best" histogram for ETTR RAW shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pfogle

pfogle New to FujiXspot

May 17, 2014
    Personally, I don't see the point of ETTR. It's a rule that helps recover shadow detail in jpgs, but I find Fuji raw files allow little headroom at the highlight end compared to my Canon files, say, so ETTR would not be a good idea for them. Even in my best exposed shots, I nearly always dial in some highlight recovery

Raw files offer most advantage in the shadow end, so I definitely expose more to the left than the right. If you shoot raw, my advice would be forget ETTR.

As to the OP's question, the histogram has to be from a processed image, not the raw file, I would think it's taken from the embedded jpg. I'm not sure. But if you dial down the contrast, you'll get a good idea of where most of the tones lie, and you still have bags of adjustment room in hand.

IMO the Fuji histograms are pretty skimpy compared to others makers, so I tend to just use them to watch for clipping.