Is the X100 your only camera? If not, what else do you shoot with?

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by ggweci, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ggweci

ggweci FujiXspot Rookie

Always interested to see what gear other X100 users shoot with.

I currently do not own an X100, but I have and X100S on pre-order (it's due to arrive mid March). My current setup is a Nikon D90 w/ Sigma 17-50 2.8 zoom and 35mm 1.8 prime, plus 3 flashes (I like to do a fair bit of strobist/studio type shots).

I plan to use the X100S as my day-to-day camera when I want to travel light and the Nikon for studio or when I need more versatility. But, I will definitely be putting the X100S through it's strobist paces to test out the 1/1000 sync speed! :cool:

What about you?

2. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I intend to own either the X100s or the X20 sometime this year - possibly both. I've been very fortunate in that I do not want for other cameras.

I have a Pentax K-5 and K-01 with about a dozen lenses to go with them (including all of the DA Limited primes that are perfect on the K-01). I also have a micro four-thirds kit that includes the Panasonic G5 and GX1, and the Olympus E-PM2. I have a total of seven micro four-thirds lenses - both Panasonic and Olympus - including 14, 20 and 45mm primes. If I go for the new Oly 17mm f/1.8, it'll be five primes and a total of eight lenses. I suspect these kits will remain stable for quite some time.

Edit: I didn't mention that I also have a Pentax Q with three lenses... the 01 prime, 02 and 06 zooms and the Q-to-K-mount converter. What a fun little camera!

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I maintain a m43 set-up to fulfill my macro and tele urges, but I reckon the X100 is the one I grab most often....just over 50% of the time.

4. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    I've been an avid m43 Olympus Pen user since 2010; now have the E-PL1 and PL3. I tend to use them more for grab shots (the E-PL3 with 15mm body cap lens and tilting LCD are great for this) and tele shots for birds, air shows and the like. Also keep a Canon S100 as a pocketable all-around camera.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    I have a Pentax K-5 with 8 or 9 lenses, a Panasonic FZ100, Olympus XZ-1, Ricoh GRDIII. I tend to grab almost anything except the K-5 when I go out... time to let it go? Probably.

6. Richard

Richard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I'm planning to purchase a Sony RX100 in the near future, and an X100s later in the year, if funds allow. The rationale is that the compact size of the RX100 and its zoom lens will make it a great tool for travel and social photography, whereas the image quality and classic controls of the X100s will lend themselves to more thoughtful and creative photography. But we shall see.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    No.

I also shoot with:
    -Contax G1
    -Nikon N6006
    -Nikon N75
    -Olympus E-PL5
    -Sigma DP2

8. andrewteee

andrewteee New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    I love the X100, but I also shoot with the Ricoh GRD4, Ricoh GXR, Pentax K30 and Sigma DP2M. I've been using the X100 a lot lately, but the Ricoh GXR/A12 50mm is my mainstay.

9. AZK9

AZK9 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Chandler, AZ
    Stan
    My X100 has become my go-to camera, but in situations when I need faster focus or may not be able to "zoom" with my feet, I have my micro 4/3 backup set (E-PL3 and still capable but slower E-P1). As amazing a camera as it is, I must admit that my cautious (or my friends would say, compulsive) nature has me always bringing one backup camera with the X100 on vacations, since I have one of the earlier serial# models that may succumb to the dreaded SAB one day... knock on wood...

10. Jim Simmons

Jim Simmons New to FujiXspot

I just sold a Leica CL to fund an XE1 and will sell the E-PL1 when I get the Fuji. I also shoot Pentax 67 and an Arca Swiss 4x5. I use Fuji 150 and 250 on the 4x5 (amongst other German glass).

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It could be. Easily. I have quite a spot in my heart for the X100. However, my current job requires me to know and use all X series cameras. Being the oldest in the series, my X100 doesn't see much action these days. It's sad. So I am looking forward to my X100S.

12. boid

boid FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    The X100 has been my main go-to camera for a while. I also use an RX100, Ricoh GRD and have a host of other cameras which don't see much use. I also have a big honking D800E with a 24mm tilt-shift on it's way (this won't see nearly as much action as my X100 though).

13. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    I also shoot with a GH2 kit and recently an RX100. I also have an IR converted Canon G5.

14. ghosthunter

ghosthunter New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    I have a Lumix LX7 and I borrowed from work a Sigma DP2m which I am really tempted to get as it is just amazing!!! It will be either that or the RX100.

15. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    I have had my X100 for over a year, I also own and use both a Panasonic GX1 (prior to that I had the GF1) and lenses as well as my long serving D700 + lenses.

These 3 formats that I am lucky to own give me choices of size, convenience, quality and most importantly weight for results (the need to carry a heavy kit for a day to get the results versus a smaller lighter kit / fixed lens unit).

I do tend to switch between using the X100 with the fixed lens or the GX1 with 25mm lens for street work due to size and the fact they are less conspicuous / threatening looking than my D700 - the results are more than satisfactory for my uses and all three give a choice that I am lucky to have and appreciate.

16. kwaphoto

kwaphoto FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 3, 2013
    Fuji X100 since Nov 2011 (60% images)
    Fuji X10 since early 2012 (35% images)
    Fuji XS1 since mid-2012 (5% images, tele work only)

I recently tried an OM-D with the idea of replacing 3 bodies with fixed lenses. Keep the good m4/3 glass and replace bodies when needed. I went with the OM-D, O 12-50, O 45 1.8, PL 25 1.4 and P 45-175. What happened? So far, I just can't seem to put the X's up for sale...the OM-D may be returned/sold - decision to be made today or tomorrow.

The IQ was NOT better than the X100 in any way shape or form - even with the 45 1.8 and/or 25 1.4. At ISO 1600+, the X100 kills it IMO - no comparison at all. The X10 is just so fun and convenient, I couldn't bring myself to carry the OM-D (with a single prime) at all as a take everywhere camera like the X10. I tried the little 17mm f/2.8 pancake but found it really lacking in sharpness and focus speed (X100 was faster!). Same with the old 20 f/1.7 I used to have. So, the Pan-Leica 25 f/1.4 was the next try - beautiful, but too big to carry everyday for me. I still grab the X10 or X100.

I think I've been bitten by the X-bug and I've got a really bad fever!

17. BigTam

BigTam FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I bought one of the first X100s in Germany as a supplement to my D7000. Ended up using it almost all the time.

When the E-M5 came along, I bought that too and decided to sell the DSLR and my 4 lenses. I use the Oly more than my X100 now, but the Fuji definitely stays: I love the feel and the controls.

Maybe I'll think about the X-E1 with the 14 and 60 as a supplement to the X100; perhaps that might replace the Oly, but I don't think so.

I'm very happy with both.

18. Steve B.

Steve B. FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    X Pro + 14, 18, 35, 60 and D700/S5 (Fuji DSLR with Nikon mount) + 24, 35, 40, 50, 58, 85

19. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Also use a Canon 7D. Retired my Canon G12 and G1X as soon as I got my hands on the X100.

20. Archiver

Archiver FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 5, 2013
    I use the X100 alongside cameras like the Leica M9 and Ricoh GXR. I do agree that the image quality of the X100 is beyond that of the OM-D, but the OM-D's flexibility and speed make me reach for it more. Still, the X100 is what I use when I know I want an excellent 35mm focal length equivalent, lush Fuji colours and near silent shooting. The X100S looks very promising as it shores up almost everything that niggles me about the X100, like AF speed and accuracy, lackluster movie mode, startup speed and manual focus. Now, if only Lightroom will properly support the X-Trans II sensor...