Is XC 16-50mm OIS worth buying?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mxlin, Apr 29, 2014.

1. mxlin

mxlin New to FujiXspot

Apr 29, 2014
    Northeast, USA
    My first post here (am a regular on u4/3 and FM forums) - decided to give Fuji a try with mainly primes plus a "cheap" zoom just in case. It seems Fuji XC 16-50mm is going for less than $200 on a used market and reviews are mostly postive, but wondering if anyone can share some real world experiences and how it stacks up against XF 18-55mm? Thank you in advance for your feedback!

2. walker

walker FujiXspot Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Italy, Northeast
    Since day one my X-M1 wears the XC 16-50mm. A really good general purpose lens (more than an entry-level) and I'm very satisfied so far. Having tried the XF 18-55 (undoubtedly a step over the XC) for a short while too, I would say they're almost on par in good light conditions (but I'm quite sure there's somebody out there that will not agree on this). However if I were you I would be more inclined to the XF than the XC given that it is your first lens (and, above all, you can choose which one)

my 0,01€ point of view

sorry if I'm not the best dude for showing you how good is this lens. that said here are some sample to look at:

View attachment 20411

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I don't have either lens, however when I came close to buying an interchangeable lens Fuji it was the 16-50mm that held more interest for me because it is just that little bit wider. I've read good thing about this lens right here on the forum. I know Rico has used it quite a bit and written about it...perhaps with the X-A1 or the X-M1?

4. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    BB, hi. The 16-50 comes in a kit with the X-A1 (and I would guess the X-M1 as well). Price for the X-A1 + 16-50mm is only $449 right now at Adorama. What a steal!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Shh, I can't hear you Chuck!! That is a very good price, isn't it?

6. tomrock

tomrock FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Tom Rockwell
    I don't have any comparisons with the 18-55 but here's something with the 16-50. This is the first time I'm trying to post from Flickr. I hope it works.

13897394650_195d98fb65_c. On the Ground by Tom Rockwell Indy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  7. tomrock

tomrock FujiXspot Rookie

Dec 23, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN USA
    Tom Rockwell
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I had an XM1 on loan for a few weeks late last summer, with this lens. It's not a fast lens, so I wouldn't want it as an ONLY, but I thought it was plenty sharp and rendered nicely. And, at this point, it's the only Fuji that you can slam to 16mm and more or less forget about. Since that's one of my favorite focal lengths, that's a very nice thing. I'd think about buying one because of that, but since it's looking pretty inevitable that Fuji's next prime is gonna be a fast 16mm, I'll wait for that. It'll probably be pretty big and pretty expensive, but it'll also probably be pretty excellent. And since the 18 is only pretty good, the 16 could be my most used lens...

-Ray

9. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    That new fast zoom will most likely lack OIS, though. The fast prime will be 16mm now that Zeiss is fleeing from the X-Mount.

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    :) Regular price is/was $599...

Ooops....sale price is gone. Back to $599 :-(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Very tempted by a couple of deals of the 16-50 pulled from new kits and selling very, very cheaply. I got the B&H X-Pro 1 kit with the 35 f1.4 and 27 f2.8, and the 35 will be on the camera most of the time, but I'll be travelling in late November and would like a good normal range zoom. My E-M5 is getting twitchy, flashing mode screens without stopping, and fixing it will cost more than the 16-50. Moreover, I only have a kit zoom for it (and a couple of primes.

But should I wait to get the 18-55? The 16-50 I'm looking at is $130 shipped and is located in the U.S. I prefer using primes, but do keep zooms on a lot when I travel.

So - decisions decisions. The E-M5 is smaller, faster, and more versatile, and I don't see glaring IQ differences between the systems at normal sizes and iso 1600 and under. I very happily use the Olympus up to 6400 in raw, and the in body stabilization has saved me more than once. But the Fuji is brand new, I'm ga-ga in love with the OVF, and that 35mm is a lovely and addictive lens. The travel kit would be bigger and heavier with the 16-50 and the 35mm along (and the X20 for backup), but not hugely so, and I'm not yet so decrepit that I can't manage it, especially as I use a wrist strap once I'm shooting.

This is old news to most Fuji X system shooters, but not to me.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I talked myself into it. The lens is not any slower than most kit lens, is optically stabilized, and even though a budget lens, has better optical performance than many other kit zooms. (And I've happily used Olympus kit zooms) For $133 shipped for a lens pulled from a brand new kit, it started to sound like a no brainer. So, with standard shipping, it should be here by the end of next week. Thanks for the discussion above, and the pictures. It helped me feel comfortable going forward. I've been looking at Ray's pictures for several years now, and if it's "plenty sharp" for him, that's good enough for me.

13. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I've got its bigger brother, the XC 50-230, and (as has been said) in good light, there's nothing to complain about. It's incredibly capable, plenty sharp and contrasty, and it's small and light. The tiny price and the OIS are bonuses. And when the light dims, out come the primes...

• Like Like x 1
  14. scott rawson

scott rawson New to FujiXspot

Jul 16, 2015
    scott rawson
    i used it for a few shots and it's easily as good as any kit DSCF9465.JPG zoom lens under £350
    DSCF9450.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    DSCF0720-L.

I haven't had a chance to shoot a lot with it since it arrived, but I have no complaints with what I've taken. I got it new from a kit for $133 - a steal, I think. I'll take it to Asia in November with absolutely no qualms about image quality - at least none I'll be able to blame on the lens.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hazza

Hazza FujiXspot Rookie Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Harry
    I only just picked my X-E1 and 16-50 lens up this week and so far I have no complaints.

23479247571_a71d8780b5_b. DSCF1783 by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  17. BL22

BL22 New to FujiXspot

Dec 31, 2015
    BL
    Hello everyone. This is my first attempt to post something.
    Regards.
    This was a grab shot while passing by. Using X E1 and Fujinon XC 16-50.
    I think this lens is very good for anyone. Its not too costly.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1