It really is a Miata

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by OdzBodkinz, May 19, 2013.

1. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 17, 2013
    Taken with my XE-1 and 35mm 1.4. This was shot at a Miata club tech day. I dropped in a different background for fun.

DSCF1531-Edit-2-Edit-X2.

2. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    That looks cool!

3. bobmadison

bobmadison New to FujiXspot

Feb 8, 2013
    SoCal
    Bob Madison
    Wonderful shot. And some people say the Miata is a chick car. This car looks darn right mean and masculine.

4. OdzBodkinz

Feb 17, 2013
    They can say its a chick car all day long. When you drive it properly in the Mtns of western NC, any bit of derision is quickly forgotten. My Miata is fun to drive, and while not exactly fast, it handles curves an twisters like a champ. Haters gonna hate.

5. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I've never heard anyone who knows anything about cars say that the Miata is a chick car. It's a driver's car...for people who appreciate a pure sports car.

The badging is all a bit much, but whatever floats one's boat, I suppose.

6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I've just realised what this is... It's a Mazda MX5... They are driven by hairdressers and middle-aged ladies in my neck of the woods...

7. Frenchman

Frenchman FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    The Miata always bring [reactions] out of people. I miss mine. It was crashed by a "real man" Ford Explorer driven by a woman who spun right in front of it...

In my "neck of the woods" the chicks drive Mustangs and Corvettes. So much for the stereotypes.

I still have some nice pictures of a string of 911s and Vipers behind my car in the Laguna Seca hairpin (and yes, there was no way I could hold anybody on that following straight!).

8. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Pardon? The hairdressers I referred to are young girls... Please be very careful with your assumptions and accusations...

9. Frenchman

Frenchman FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    This was not directed at you lightmancer but an observation that this small car somehow polarizes people between those who think it is a great roadster in sheep clothes and those who think only "chicks" and middle aged people drive them.

As someone wrote all you need is a twisty road to appreciate it in its own. It is too underpowered for any muscle contest but very well balanced.

10. OdzBodkinz

Feb 17, 2013
    This one is mine. I love driving it. My Father loves his. It is reminiscent of his Austin Healey and follows in the tradition of Lotus and other British Roadsters. Personally, I never really saw much sexual identity in any of my vehicles. I've driven Broncos, Cherokees, Pickup trucks, etc... Right now, the Miata lives in the garage until the weekend, and I drive my Mini Cooper during the week.

DSCF0054-Edit-X2.

11. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    they are fun cars to throw around through the twistys. Looks like you've got some nice grippy tires on there.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Cool shots. Back when I was into driving fast in the twisties, I'd have LOVED to have had a Miata. I also had small kids then, so a two-seater was out of the question, but I lusted. The fact that this basic model has been around for close to 25 years tells me plenty. They were never speed demons, or great freeway cruisers, but they were the 1960's British sports car that actually RAN most of the time. I used to mess around with old Triumphs and MGs and those things spent a lot more time on the side of the road than ON the damn thing. Miatas were a blast and I'm sure they still are. Yeah, lots of "chicks" drive them because they're cute, but they're driver's cars too. Big time. I've sort of lost the passion for anything automotive - I got into bikes and came to see cars as pure utility, but if I was still into it, I'm sure the Miata is an itch I'd probably scratch now.

-Ray

13. CaptZoom

CaptZoom FujiXspot Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    Great shots. OP, is the background also one of your own photos?

Miata's are great fun to drive, though for me the windshield is not tall enough (or short enough depending in your perspective). It cuts into my field of view.

But the ultimate riding experience for me is my Triumph Bonneville.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369241821.202134.

14. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Looks great! ON his way to a championship at a later age?

15. CaptZoom

CaptZoom FujiXspot Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    If his mommy allows it:(

We (son and I) are working on convincing wifey that getting a side car is a necessity. Naturally we'll need to purchase a bike to go along with the side car:)