20&16

Alf

Top Veteran
Playing with the lumix 20 and the cosmicar 16 on E-PL1
5777713845_92d941a565_b_d.jpg

5777630709_73ffa10561_b_d.jpg

Crop & PP on iPad

Alf, I think the lighting and the way you've captured it in this second portrait is really nice...especially on your wife's wrist and hand...and, of course, we travel upwards... Do you prefer one over the other - photograph as well as lens?

Alf, I think the lighting and the way you've captured it in this second portrait is really nice...especially on your wife's wrist and hand...and, of course, we travel upwards... Do you prefer one over the other - photograph as well as lens?

Last year I got the CP16mm, and almost always left it in its bag as it vignettes madly. When viewed on the LCD every image seems trash, so nearly forgot to use it. While reviewing some pictures a few days ago, I noticed something interesting in the light drawing in some pictures (something in common with the 20mm lumix, but warmer because of the lateral distorsion) , and tried to find the common denominator. It's the tag "cosmicar pentax 16/1.4", so back to the bag, out to the test lab (the fridge side) and on to create a proper lens profile for Lightroom instead of my handmade correction preset. (available if anyone needs it)

After cropping, the cp16 is quite near to the FOV of the 20mm - so on to compare. My dearest was watching the news as I started shooting - and the second pic came at the moment she saw something she liked on the screen, right after changing the lens.
Both expressions are quite common on her face - "I don't believe a word" in the first pic, "Good riddance" in the second. (after I asked her what was on screen - two nazis from her hometown in the northwest getting respectfully ass-kicked in local elections).

I didn't answer. I like the second pic most because of the light, but part of it is PP for sure. And I love both lenses, even if the cp16 needs lots of work and center composition.
The iPad test showed me that maybe cropping is enough to get a decent pic from the cp16 without distortion correction, if distance is enough.

Alf, that was a tiptop and interesting answer - I especially like the story about your wife's reactions to the news. As you may know by now I am not very "technical" so it's also good to learn more about why lenses do what they do. I had no idea that lateral distortion created warmth, to name one thing!

I also like your "pping" very much in the second, especially.

Back