Just a random Saturday

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by ranxoren, Aug 18, 2013.

1. ranxoren

ranxoren FujiXspot Regular

Jul 7, 2013
    Playing around the Canadian Museum of Nature with my Rokinon 8mm FE:

9530731255_81d03c2b34_c.
    Canadian Museum of Nature. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

9530734191_bb2691c750_c.
    Canadian Museum of Nature. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

And attempting two firsts, first off camera flash portraits and also first shots with my new Fuji 60mm lens:

View attachment 15311
    Learning Flash. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

9533507108_f34152b19b_c.
    Learning Flash. by OT Kammah, on Flickr

Second attempt at off camera flash. My friend wanted a cool picture of his tattoo, I think we did alright :)

View attachment 15313
    [fl0k] by OT Kammah, on Flickr

2. ranxoren

Jul 7, 2013
  3. ranxoren

Jul 7, 2013
  4. ranxoren

Jul 7, 2013
    Any feedback on advice on the photos above?
    I'm just learning flash and would love some guidance from more seasoned users :)

5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't know about more seasoned (I'm a newbie to flash and lighting myself), but in the portrait shots I think your light is positioned a wee bit high. You've got a lot of fall-off on the bottom of his face in the original. The edited version evens it out quite a bit but I would guess it'd have come out closer to that in-camera with the light just a little lower.

Likewise on the tattoo shot, I think the light is either a little high if you wanted to highlight the tattoo, or maybe you're using too much vignetting (if you added that). My eye wants the tattoo to be just a little brighter, as the bottom corners are fading into the shadow.

Both of those are pretty minor points though. I especially like the tattoo shot in monochrome... very dramatic!

6. ranxoren

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks for the great feedback!!
    Very good point on the portrait shot, that was my first ever off camera shoot and I just couldn't figure out what would make it better. What you said is bang on!

Ditto for the tattoo shot, no vignetting added but I see how I could've moved the flash a bit more towards the tattoo itself or maybe even just made it wider.

Thanks very much!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
  8. ranxoren

Jul 7, 2013
    Thanks so much!! :)