Just got an x-e1 coming from Nikon

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by ggcadc, Jun 27, 2013.

1. ggcadc

ggcadc New to FujiXspot

Jun 25, 2013
    I sold me d600 to get something smaller and more portable. I still have a d800, but that's a monster for work stuff.

I wanted to have a different shooting experience as well as something that doesn't require me to lug around many thousands in gear on trips. So far it has me thinking in frames again like when I first started shooting.

I've got to admit the 18-55 kit lens isn't my favorite so I'm looking into the 35 1.4 (I love fast glass and shallow dof).

Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself as well as ask about others experience with the learning curve, I know shooting the x system is different, how long did it take you guys to get results you loved? I like shooting with the camera, I tolerate the zoom lens, but my results I think could be much better, I've noticed that the autofocus is not as accurate as me manually focusing... Is that normal? I know it's contrast detect, and not a cam af system like in my Nikon bodies, but I figured it could lock accurately.

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I find the CDAF of the X-series cameras to be accurate, but that accuracy really depends on what you're trying to focus on. Areas with lots of contrast in the plane of focus of what you want focus on? No problem. However, in lower light and with shallow DOF - for example a portrait where you want to focus on the face/eyes - the camera can have issues and its not always easy to find an element in your scene with enough contrast that is on the exact same plane of focus as the eyes of your subject (since often the face/eyes aren't enough to allow a focus lock). For me this resulted in a lot of mis-focused shots.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    Hi and welcome

My best friend (and fellow photo enthusiast) used to shoot with a D3100 and has upgraded to a D800, but before he did, he asked if I can loan him my X-Pro 1 for a couple of weeks to see if it was a camera he would be willing to upgrade to just to keep his options open.

He told me his thoughts about it when he returned my camera
    -Yes there is certainly a big learning curve coming from a DSLR background, he especially found parallax compensation framing, and focus accuracy challenging since he is used to shooting with WYSIWYG and a lot of AF points. He did point out though that if he shot with just one focus point in the middle (focus, recompose, shoot) this nails the focus dead on and negates the problem.

-The camera isn't something he got used to right away, again there was a steep learning curve associated in using the camera, however he found every shot he took rewarding, in colour, sharpness, and bokeh, "I would normally take 10 shots of the same subject and choose 1 at the end, but I would only take 2-3 shots using the XP-1 and choose one if not keep all of them at the end"

-The camera was fun to use and made him want to go out and shoot.

At the end though he chose a D800 as it is more suitable to his needs, however he did say that though the D800 will be his work camera he will be buying either an X-Pro 1 or X100s as his personal fun camera providing that the he saves a bit more money or if the price goes down as it is a tool that gave him a lot of joy to use.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Hello and welcome - enjoy the X-E1 and share some of your shots with us.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Welcome and thanks for your intro - and questions, ggcadc. I'm sorry I can't comment on the comparison between these cameras, but did find Phoenix's response, in particular, to be quite interesting. I hope you can give the X-E1 a good run and try out Phoenix's suggestions. And yes, please do share some of your photos with us!

6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Hi and welcome!
    i am also from the Nikon world and tested the D800 (as an amateur) and fulyl agree what Phoenix said. Contrast-detection should be more accurate because it is more of an iterative focusing process involving the sensor. I haven't noticed any focus inaccuracy (except when using the OVF because of parallax). Obviously AF is (much) slower. Although the Nikon offers more precise focus points, the AF area is limited compared to the Fuji. The 'full-screen' AF-area can be useful when shooting with tripod or shallow DoF because you don't have to move the camera (this feature was more important to me than fast-focusing). You also won't be faced with pre-calibration errors. Yes, there is a learning curve but that's part of the fun (not sure though if it would be my profession; but there are some pros active at this forum who use the fujis for work).
    Happy shooting!
    Peter

7. ggcadc

ggcadc New to FujiXspot

Jun 25, 2013
    Ive worked out some kinks so far, I have a 35 1.4 on its way that I think will give me the results I want.

The reason I bought the x-e1 over the x100 is that i could possibly maybe use it for work, however showing up with an x100s wouldnt cut it with clients. I have a project this week ill try a few shots with the xe1. Ill post results if theyre worthwhile

for now the first four shots on my flickr are from the x-e1, im thinking with my preferred shooting style the fast 35 will clinch the deal.
    Flickr: ggcadc's Photostream