Just Itching to Upgrade.........

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by AndyH44, Jan 28, 2018.

1. AndyH44

AndyH44 FujiXspot Regular

Since getting my X-T10, 16-50, and 27 f2.8, and reviewing the great imaging from this rig, I feel the need to take a step upward to see if I.Q. can be "better". I'm happy with the lens' rendering and don't think the higher $$$$$ of 'pro' lenses is worth it. Just not THAT seriously into it. Hopefully one of the new bodies will offer the features and 'improved' I.Q. that I'm searching for. Maybe I should just leave "well enough" alone as just have fun with what I have now. :hmmm:

2. AndyMcD

AndyMcD FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    I think you need to think about what it is that you're looking for, or that you're missing from your current setup and work from that - whilst making sure that you spend time having fun with what you already have.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AndyH44

Yeah, probably just more interested in what a newer sensor/processor package would provide.

4. mikEm13

mikEm13 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 7, 2017
    Well Im not sure how to answer you. You say you have a need for better IQ but your happy with the rendering your getting now and "your not that seriously into it". The X-T10 is a great camera but doesn't have all the bells and whistles the X-T20, X-T2,X-Pro2, or the GFX-505 have but still is able to take great pictures. The lenses you have now are good lenses but there are Fuji lenses that will render somewhat better. Imo a lens upgrade would be the better of the two options for improving IQ. I have seven Fuji lenses and only two were bought new and I haven't had a problem with any of them. So looking for a good used lens will allow you to upgrade without breaking the bank. I wish you good luck with whatever choice you make.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AndyMcD

AndyMcD FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    I try to reason upgrades through beforehand. So, I went X-E1->X-E2 for better manual focusing, then I went X-E2->X-T1 for bigger EVF and the ISO dial. I looked at the X-T2 and the joystick interests me, but I don't feel compelled to upgrade again at this time. I'm not saying that you don't have a compelling reason to upgrade, but the manufacturers are always tempting us with new things. (As an aside, I think Fuji do more to look after their existing users than any other manufacturer I am aware of - I remember how big a change came over my X-E2 when the v4.0 firmware came out).

I've tried to be more careful with lenses nowadays now, and I'm trying to avoid creating overlaps or buying lenses that aren't compelling to me.

GAS is a terrible thing, and I've found it to be a great blocker from actually taking pictures.

6. AndyH44

Guess my problem is I just like new toys too much! :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I agree with Mike. Different lenses are going to make a bigger difference than the newne sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Wilkins

Anthony Wilkins FujiXspot Regular

Jun 2, 2016
    Anthony Wilkins
    What I was thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AndyH44

Well, that's 3 for a better lens rather than a newer sensor! It's just that I really like the 16-50 I have and find the 'pro' 16-55 way too expensive. My only other choice would be the 18-55, but then although faster, it's also larger and heavier. I find the wide to medium zooms about perfect for my needs.
    Went through the same dilemma with my Olympus Mu-43 cameras. Tried many lens, both prime and zoom, and found the Leica 12-60 f2.8-4 to be the best overall. It is parked long-term on my E-M5 II.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  10. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Twilli53 Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    I started out with a 16-50 then upgraded to a 18-55. There is no comparison in IQ. The 18-55 is a prime quality zoom the 16-50 is not. You can always buy cameras, but you invest in lens.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Ye cannae fight the laws of physics...

Montgomery Scott

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Dave Jenkins
    Going against the obviously received wisdom, I will suggest that Andy will probably benefit more by upgrading to an X-T20. A good lens is a good lens, whether or not it is one of the premium lenses. My 16-50, for instance, leaves nothing to be desired in terms of sharpness.

One of the things you pay for when you buy a premium lens is consistency — everything else being equal, you’re more likely to get a sharp copy of a premium lens, and it will be built more robustly, of better materials. But again, a sharp lens is a sharp lens, and if it fits your needs and you’re not overburdened with an urge to impress others, keep your lens, use it, and enjoy it. That 24-megapixel sensor on the X-T20 is really good. It just blows away my old 6D.

13. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    definitely sounds like you're happy with your lenses. While I think ANY Fuji body will produce images that are nearly identical to any other Fuji body (except perhaps to an extreme pixel peeper), if it's a new body you want, figure out which one you want and buy it.