Latest Victim of the Wonderful US Economy...

Discussion in 'Coffee Bar' started by entropic remnants, Oct 19, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    ...is yours truly.

http://www.delawareonline.com/artic...odyssey=mod|breaking|text|Home&nclick_check=1

My company is closing it's doors. I'm paid through December 13th, but work will likely stop sooner.

Not sure what I'm doing yet, but I suspect this will impact my GAS, lol. Under our current management -- who haven't a clue -- this has been coming for awhile. I worked there for 22 years. At some point I'll be doing a blog post on the place with lots of pics, including some I've not published though nothing really spectacular.

Our mill was in operation for almost 100 years. Our main running gear is from the 1960's and we couldn't compete as a "commodity" supplier. Our technique was to base our existence on customer service and specialty products where our higher cost structure didn't hurt us as much. But, the new "modern" managers decided we needed to compete with the low cost suppliers with more modern mills... what a bunch of maroon's as Bugs Bunny would say.

We had over a decade where we were #1 in customer service among steel plate producers and almost always towards the top of the list. We aren't even on the top 10 list anymore -- that's how bad they messed us up.

Interestingly, some of the great managers we got were people who had destroyed other American manufacturing enterprises, including some paper mills (paper mills? WTF were they doing managing steel?) Basically, they took what they did that killed other companies, and shared that goodness with us -- with predictable results.

[SIGH]

• Like Like x 1
  2. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

And you can bet your sweet ass they'll be paid well for doing it! My sincere condolences...

In situations like this, I remind myself that the Chinese symbol for "crisis" is also the symbol for "opportunity"!

• Like Like x 2
  3. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    That sucks and I'm sorry. I've been a manager in the glass business for years and I've seen the same thing. Wet behind the ears Managers coming from the furniture, tile or insulation business thinking they can run the glass business.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Definitely praying for you, your family and your coworkers.

• Like Like x 3
  5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Very sad, and unfortunately, this happens all the time and everywhere. Those management nomads are just flocking from one victim to the next. :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I'm very sorry to read this, John. I feel terribly for you and the other members of you company who are being hit with this closing.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    My sympathies John. You and your co-workers deserve better. Good luck on your future moves. Big John is right, time for a reassessment of you resume and pro-actively attack the future.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  8. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    One thing I'm sure of on this, John will land on his feet. There's always room for a smart, skilled, hard-working employees!

Sorry to hear the bad news John, but I look forward to hearing about the next chapter in your life and pray that it works out to be an even better opportunity for the long term. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 2
  9. flash

flash FujiXspot Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    Bad luck John. Hope there's a silver lining for you.

You know, you'd make a damn fine full time photographer....

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  10. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks, all. I think I'll be fine. In the meantime, I don't have as much to do as I used to, and a mechanical breakdown today gave me a chance to go to our sister site where the plates are rolled and get some photos. Basically making lemonade out of lemons, lol.

I will be doing a set after the plant closes called "Steel Mill Portraits" which will feature environmental portraits of a number of our folks. For now, I'm only going to post non-employees like this truck driver known only as "Broadway" who hauls wide and heavy loads of plate for some of our customers.

10431271324_8038152851_b.
    Steel Mill Portraits: Broadway by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And here's some shots from a set I'm slowly building from our final days of operation called "End of an Era" that will also only be published in full after we close.

10431438353_7bd88a8361_b.
    End of an Era: Shipping Bay by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10431293616_e93580f935_b.
    End of an Era: Slab Cutting by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10413265264_19c0f5a600_b.
    The End of an Era: Future Urbex by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381554354_bc5d4aaf86_b.
    The End of an Era: Furnace Operator Works a Heat by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381578445_b1ff27d2b6_b.
    The End of an Era: At Peace by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381577685_209bc15001_b.
    The End of an Era: The Playboy Club - Half Ton Capacity by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381576675_ed91672c40_b.
    The End of an Era: The Open Hearth by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381552144_6177c1c69a_b.
    The End of an Era: Electrical Distribution Room by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

10381760213_afbcdc666c_b.
    The End of an Era: Oh, The Power! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  11. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    One more from this past week. If you look mid left frame you'll see a guy in an orange jacket just standing on the catwalk watching the action. I've seen a lot of that -- and done it -- as I think we unconsciously stop to look at something we might not be seeing much of anymore. It's not uncommon to see people just watching when something really big is going on -- but recently it seems like everyone is taking time to just look at things.

10466899683_d9ec61b02e_b.
    End of an Era: Counting Down the Days in the Teeming Aisle by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    You should start looking for a book publisher...just saying..."one door closes and another opens"...good luck ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. SWDan

SWDan New to FujiXspot

Dec 26, 2015
    Daniel Brovont
    Nice looking images.

14. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    He hasn't been around in a while, but yes, his were always among my favorites of any poster here.