Leica M adapter and Fuji X cameras

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bill, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Bill

Bill New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    Alberta Canada
    I have a few Leica "M" lenses. Has anyone tried out the Leica M adapter and what kind of results have you seen?

I am a new member and have been a Micro Four Thirds user for 3 years. I am considering purchasing a Fuji and am intrigued at their approach to adapter lenses. On the surface it seems like a good way to make greater use of my Leica lenses. Thanks.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I have the Leica M adapter but am using it for a Voigtlander 35mm on the XP1, the results itself is as expected of the lens you use, the CV 35mm 1.2 is quite good however I found focusing a bit of a challenge as focusing is done by magnification which I find a bit awkward, though this may change shortly with the split prism focusing system with upcoming X models.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Bill- I got into m43 primarily to use my legacy Leica and OM lenses, and have been doing the same with my X-Pro 1 since I bought it last year. I use a Rainbowimaging M to X adapter with my Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 and Leitz 50mm F2 Summicron. I'm used to shooting with MF lenses and magnification on the VF2 of my E-PL1, so it has not been a problem using these lenses on the X-Pro with its EVF. The balance of these lenses on the X-Pro is pretty good, considering the dimensions are close to my Leica M3. I've been very happy with it; you'll definitely get use out of your Leica glass.

Ed

4. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I have tested 3 different M adapters, they all worked as advertised. My book contains a chapter on how to use adapted lenses on X-Mount cameras which might be useful. Image quality depends on the specific lens you adapt. I am using a 75mmF1.8 Heliar from Voigtländer with good results.

8388942765_264561626e_c.
    DSCF3268 by ricopress, on Flickr

6950867090_666dd68724_c.
    DSCF2899 by ricopress, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  5. Oahu Kamaaina

Oahu Kamaaina New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Lovely images. Great lens.

6. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have one on order and will be using it with Leica M and Zeiss, as well as Leica R... watch this space :)

7. Josh

Josh New to FujiXspot

Feb 2, 2013
    Metro Manila
    I've never shot with any M lens, but have recently been seriously thinking about getting either a CV 21mm or 25mm for street shooting ; since I prefer having the distance markings on the lens, and it seems unlikely that the upcoming 23mm will have the distance markings like the Fuji 14mm.

But I have a question re: minimum focus distance though, I've seen a few people in various forums recommend the Hawk's helicoid adapter "to be able to focus at close distances." Could anyone elaborate on this more? How close can I focus when using wide-ish lenses (e.g. CV 15mm, 21mm) with the Fuji M adapter?

Many thanks.

8. Bill

Bill New to FujiXspot

Feb 1, 2013
    Alberta Canada
    Thanks. Just love the first photo ricopress. Can you provide me with info on your book?

Bill

9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Frustration = my adaptor sitting at the sorting office and I cannot get there before Wednesday...

Sent from another Galaxy

10. serhan

serhan FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    NYC
    Excellent shots flysurfer. Keep more images / experiences coming. I am interested in this as well with bunch of manual lenses. Maybe next generation cameras will have the focus peaking/split screen though I might be OK with magnification...

11. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    The sharpness and color on the first photo are amazing. Great shot.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fourtogaraffia

fourtogaraffia FujiXspot Rookie

I've tried shooting with my Leica 50 and 90 on the X Pro but it's too slow IMHO, I plan to (gulp) sell the Leica gear, admit defeat and buy the Fuji 60mm.

13. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I think you will find that slow too...

Sent from another Galaxy