Lightroom -- how do inter-release updates work ?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by bobbywise, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bobbywise

bobbywise FujiXspot Regular

Feb 15, 2013
    Nantes
    Robert Wisbey
    After much deliberation, I decided to get lightroom, since my understanding from the Adobe website is that the 4.3 version will be upgradable to 4.4 once it's released.

I'm currently using the RC4.4.
    After purchasing Lightroom, I downloaded, and obviously 4.3, so I haven't installed it.

I'm wondering how I will upgrade from my purchased version once 4.4 is released.
    For example, will I be able to download the 4.4 version from within the My Adobe part of the adobe website.
    Or, will I have to install 4.3 and wait or it to tell me there is an update available.

Does anyone here know how it works for Lightroom updates?

Rob

2. link0000

link0000 FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 13, 2013
    I think what's important is the production key. I haven't installed 4.4RC yet, so I don't know whether you can input your production key or where. The worst that can happen is when LR4.4 is release, you just uninstall 4.4RC, install 4.3, input your production key, then download and install 4.4.

3. Snix

Snix FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 1, 2013
    Australia
    Usually you just download the update and install it. As link0000 mentioned, you existing product key should automatically be read and the new update work just as before. Very simple!

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Once you have an account with Adobe for Lightroom, all that information should be stored in your account. I just upgraded my Lightroom 3 to 4, finally, the other day and it all worked seamlessly on my MacBook Pro. They give you step by step directions and voila!

5. Tdp

Tdp Guest

If you buy LR version # as the full version, then later buy the upgrade to version ##, you will get a license key for each purchase. If later you need to load LR again from scratch, you can log into Adobe and the D/L link for your software will be in your profile - as well as your keys. The software reload may ask for your # or ## license, but no worries because you have all that info in your Adobe account.

For the free version updates, say from version ## to ##.1, .2 and so forth, you do not need your license at all. The s/w reads your existing loaded license and goes from there without any interaction on your part.

6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Thanks, Tdp!:th_salute: