London Street Mix XE1 & GRD3

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by petach, Mar 18, 2013.

1. petach

petach FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    These have a real energy about them - nicely captured Peter.

3. petach

Feb 16, 2013
    thanks Bill, very kind.

4. teefin1

teefin1 FujiXspot Regular

Mar 1, 2013
    I really like 4 & 5, which are from which camera?

5. pniev

pniev Guest

It is always a real treat to see your photos, Peter.
    One question, if I may and ii may sound stupid but... Do people notice that take photos of them? And if so, how do they usually react? Or did you find a "stealth operating mode"? I would love to try street photography but I know I would object if someone takes a photo of me, which is probably I have difficulty doing it. But the photos are so expressive and nice that I would love to learn how to do it.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Nice set Pete. I particularly like the cyclists lined up at the light, bursting to go...

-Ray

7. petach

Feb 16, 2013
    Cheers Guys.
    Ray - I even gave them a count down to go.
    Teefin - 1st 3 are GRD3,,,,my favourite.
    Pniev - thanks.....combination of silent shutter on the GRD3, noise masking shutter on the xe1, me disguising actions to take shot...ie, scratching upper lip with camera back, or holding camera with strap of another camera, and just brazen frontery. Most people do not notice. I usually keep the camera in position to seem as though still taking photo when subject passes, usually no eye conact....but can sometimes add to shot dynamic if contact made.

Question for you. Why object :eek:)

cheers

8. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Peter, as always, a great set of images and the B&W really makes them powerful and reflect the cold of the day.

My favourite is the 3 people outside cafe one sat and the sign "Warming Wnter Soup" - sums it up perfectly.

I always feel inspired when I view your images as they display so much power and story in them, the more I view them the more I see so they are a real story in themselves - great city to capture them in helps.

Thanks for sharing.

9. deanmessenger

deanmessenger FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Surrey UK
    Dean Messenger
    would love to give street photography a try but fell very self consious of the the camera around my neck and even more so when raising it up. need to get out there with someone whos comfortable with street photography and see how they do it. cracking shots too

10. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    The more you do it, the easier it gets. Just try!

Great shots from London, Peter.

11. pniev

pniev Guest

That's very helpful. Why object? well, not sure but I'll think about that. Perhaps I even end up by jumping in front of photographers who try to stay stealth. ;-)

Peter

12. petach

Feb 16, 2013
    Dear friends, thank you all for your kind comments. As far as street is concerned.....I have been through a bit of a dry spell, my mojo had left me. My tremor is driving me bonkers....and it affects my shooting hand (ie the evil left hand telling the better right hand to tremor at a crucial moment) I have a new doctor and he hopes to reduce the tremor with different meds. I have never thought of myself as inspiring.....I take my inspiration from the likes of you Ray, Iansky....Norman.....Don to name but a few ...the inspiree rather than inspirer.

So, I have received a shot in the arm today and feel much more positive. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  13. MrBeastie

MrBeastie FujiXspot Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Great Malvern UK
    Adrian
    I think you can add yourself to the list of inspirers on here. This set of photos and the tales of how you approach Street photography, from upfront brazenness to disguising with a camera strap has made me want to do more of this sort of stuff. I love the strong contrast you have achieved in your shots.

14. spinyman

spinyman FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Valley Center,CA.
    Very nice petach!

15. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    If you really would object if someone took a photo of you, then you just shouldn't do it! The golden rule and all that. I figure if I or someone else is in a busy public place, anyone is free to look at me and me at them. Taking a photograph is just another way of looking at / being looked at. So I don't have any qualms. That said, I'd absolutely hate it if someone came up and stuck a camera directly in my face like I've seen in videos of how some street photographers work. And because I wouldn't want someone doing that to me, I won't do it to them. My goal is always to be an observer of a scene, not a participant. Sometimes someone notices me taking the photo and, as Pete says, that can sometimes make the photo better (and sometimes worse), but that's never what I'm going for.

Pete, I hear you about going through a lull. I've been pretty heavily into street shooting for about 2 1/2 years now and for a long time it felt like life blood - if I didn't get out among people and shoot for 4-5 days, I felt a strong need to do it. But I think that was about getting comfortable and honing my technique. Now I don't feel that overwhelming need/drive anymore. I can go for a month or more without a day in the city and it doesn't make me at all crazy. And when I get back to a situation where I can shoot, it's kind of like riding a bike - it only takes me a few minutes to get back into the flow of it. And if I put in the time and do the anticipation dance, I'll come away with handful of pretty good shots and every now and then a really good one pops out. Which always feels like luck, but if I wasn't out there doing it, the luck wouldn't happen, so I give myself some credit for the good ones. This relatively new lack of total drive sort of felt like a lull for a while, but it doesn't now. The learning was an exciting time requiring a lot of drive and desire to be out there. Now I feel like its something I feel like I know how to do, I know the approach that works for me for better or worse. I still love to do it when I have the opportunity, but I'm just as happy to go on a walk and just look for cool shapes and images to shoot when there aren't a lot of people around. So now I don't consider it a lull, just a new normal. I guess if I wanted to be really really good and build a real body of top quality work, I'd have to be out there a LOT all the time. But I'm not that ambitious. I do this for fun and I'm happy when I get something good, but I don't feel nearly as driven as when I was just figuring it out.

OTOH, if I had a health issue that was preventing me from doing something I love, even occasionally, I would find that incredibly frustrating. So good on you for fighting through that!

-Ray

16. petach

Feb 16, 2013
    I agree with Ray. And of course there is a difference between the aggressive invasion of personal space as espoused by the likes of Gilden and others, and getting in close without fuss, bother or being seen.

I find that if you are not trying to be sneaky beaky people are more accepting if caught out. I smile, wink...offer a copy, chat and explain who I am. I have on occasion shown everything on the camera. Anything to avoid confrontation, and I also like to chat now and again.

Try to hide the camera? Likely to be caught out. I like the term "hide in plain sight". Be natural, be part of the scene, shoot, move on....but judge each on a very quick mental risk assessment. If instinct is "danger"..... Follow instinct and leave well alone. You are not a war reporter. Now, I am six ft three inches, 17stone, 30yrs a cop.....I know when to leave well alone. It ain't worth it. There is always another shot round the corner. You won't be able to shoot with your camera shoved up your f16 aperture.

17. pniev

pniev Guest

I totally agree. I also wish you well, Peter!

18. pniev

pniev Guest

Thanks. I like your perspective of being an observer of a scene. It is exactly in those situations that I do not have difficulty in being photographed as well. It is more when someone sticks a camera in my face or secretly takes a photo of just me. That does not have anything to do with a story. I am definitely going to try this on my next trip in NYC!

Peter

19. pniev

pniev Guest

Great advice! Thanks.
    And I admire your strength and dedication despite your physical difficulty. Keep up the great work! It is inspiring.

Peter

20. Pav

Pav FujiXspot Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Detroit
    Pavlos
    Second that sentiment. Anyone who complains too much about their equipment or whatever should take a look at your photostream to get a little perspective.

(Not a Fuji shot) but I really love this Backgammon pic you took a few years ago. Great!

5885932300_43bdc8df55_m.
    lebanese board game by petach123 (Peter Tachauer), on Flickr