Long lens recommendation for the X's

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Rich M, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    I am feeling that a nice little 90 or 135mm might fit well on the X-bodies. Fast would be awesome.....nothing heavy, of course. It could be an M-mount....or even a smaller legacy SLR lens might fit the bill.

I know that shooting long brings the inherent issues with lack of stabilization.....especially if you are using the EVF at 3X to fine tune focus......but so be it.

(I don't want to bring the Contax G's into consideration......been there, done that.)

Any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    I bought a Zeiss Sonnar 180mmF2.8 MM-G C/Y at a quite decent price on eBay. Looks like new. I will use it with a Metabones Speed Booster (once the C/Y version for C-Mount comes out). But I am also quite happy with the results it renders as a 270mmF4 "35mm equivalent lens".

8421354800_e4e45129b1_c.
    DSCF6902 by ricopress, on Flickr

8420259469_4f102d9ebd_c.
    DSCF6897 by ricopress, on Flickr

View attachment 9554
    DSCF6899 by ricopress, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
  3. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    Wow.......nice photos and nice separation from the background. Any problems focusing the Sonnar? Do you use the magnified EVF?

I am waiting for my C/Y mount adapter to arrive and try my Contax 85/2.8 Sonnar.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    It is a challenge, but any experienced MF action shooter should be able to rise up to it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    :D

7. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    God knows how all those sports and action 'togs got by before the days of AF.......:)

8. serhan

serhan FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    NYC
    How about Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f3.5 m42 sonnar? It is sharp wide open like c/y 85mm 2.8 or contax g 90mm, but minimum focusing distance is 90cm so it has better magnification for close shots. Here is a review:
    http://slrlensreview.com/web/review...eiss-jena-mc-sonnar-135mm-m42-f35-lens-review

Here is my shot with the speed booster on nex-6 wide open:
    http://www.seriouscompacts.com/f92/requisite-cat-kitty-photo-thread-723/index95.html#post112994

Another smaller slr lens is Zuiko OM 100mm 2.8:
    http://www.fujixfiles.blogspot.com/2012/07/fuji-x-pro-1-and-olympus-om-zuiko-lenses.html

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Serhan, sounds like a great lens! How'd you get your hands on the speed booster?

10. serhan

serhan FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    NYC
    I ordered from their web site on its release date, they shipped it very quickly from HK and I received it 3 weeks ago. It is the EF nex version. I had all ef adapters so I can try different manual focus lens combinations. The af worked with 28-135mm EF and 70-300mm EF lenses, but slow af. These are leftover lenses from dslr days. Here is one shot with C/Y 50mm 1.4 wide open on nex-6:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14416476@N02/8443893964/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It increases vignetting/corner softness and distortions, but it works for shallow dof as it is advertised. Stopping down helps with corner on some lenses like CV 40mm f/2, not with my Oly OM 21mm 3.5. I found it is the curvature of the lens+SB combination. When I focused on the corner, it looses center sharpness. So it might be best with lenses 28mm to 135mm range. It is too bad they don't have ef fuji option yet.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    I haven't tried out my Olympus OM 135 F2.8. Will post photos when I have a few.

12. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    Speed booster aside, those shots with the CZJ 135mm look pretty darn sharp. Thanks for sharing.

I received the C/Y to XP adapter yesterday and shot with the Contax 85/2.8 Sonnar today. Two impressions; setting the speed to 1/125 and f/2.8 all shake was pretty much eliminated....and the focusing was ridiculously easy in the EVF magnified to 3X. Not grainy and the refresh was not noticeable.....but I wasn't panning either. A very pleasant experience.

13. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    • Like Like x 2
  14. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I love those ponies!!!!

Looks like it was a great day for all!

15. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    • Like Like x 2
  16. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    How about for an "auto focus" type of lens? Is there anything on the radar for bird photography? Granted, I realize that's a rather general question...but let's say there was an eagle flying about 120 feet away?

You know I want to buy an interchangeable lens Fuji but I want to be realistic. I am not a manual focus person for eyesight reasons.

Thanks for your help!

17. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    The 55-200mm is due in May.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    OK, Rico...you know me can you give me the 35mm speak translation? That's the way my brain works.

19. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Thank you, Rico - now you've refueled my fire.:th_salute: And thank you for that link, as well.