Loving the 14,Hating the cold

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by landshark, Feb 9, 2013.

1. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Great shots, Bob!

That looks like the wet, freezing, city cold that I know too well, heh. Just a month or such more. :)

2. TheKeddi

TheKeddi FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Great photos, looks very cold! I have unfortunately never seen snow! I live in South Australia.

3. Steve B.

Steve B. FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Missing Boston and the snow even more. I used to take the train to NY all the time to go Smalls, Village Vanguard, and the Knitting Factory. I lived off those hot dog carts when I would go.

4. Chuck

Chuck FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Great shots. Some of them appear to be HDR? What kind of PP did you do to these?

5. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Photoshop with Nik filters

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chuck

Chuck FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks. I plan on getting the complete collection Nik package. But haven't decided whether to get Lightroom or Aperture.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Damn, I'm loving these Bob. I may have to hang onto the lens a little longer and really give it a chance, particularly in the city. Maybe take it into Philly on Wednesday and see what I can do...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Ray , I would give it some more time, it is a fun lens to shoot with. Love the focal length, the 18 may be sitting a lot. I played with the focus lock out ring to set the depth, worked great just like the Olympus 12. Only negative so far is this lens being this wide you can flare it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    My first impression is that its a little wide for street work, but you're doing just fine with it, albeit in a bit different style than I usually go for, so not sure how well it'll work for me. But one thing that REALLY intrigues me about it is that a lens this wide has such an overwhelming amount of DOF, that zone focus should be quite doable even wide open at f2.8, which opens up some really cool low light street possibilities. Is that how you were shooting these night shots?

-Ray

10. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Actually these were on AF but the stuff I am working on right now were shot with zone focus. The only problem for me with zone focus is sometimes I get lazy on what the exp is doing and since I do not use Auto ISO I need to be more careful. Because the lens is wide but also very good it allows me to crop when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I generally don't use auto ISO for street/zone stuff - I keep an eye on shutter speeds and keep ISO as high as needed and then just work the exposure dial as I move in and out of shadows, toward and away from the sun, etc. Then for non-street work I tend to use both auto-ISO and auto focus.

-Ray

12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I was checking out your photos on Flickr and meant to write to you and ask you why you didn't want to keep it. I definitely lust after this lens...and, of course, a camera to go with it.

13. landshark

landshark Fujiman

Feb 1, 2013
    SoCal
    Anyway this lens is just what I had been waiting for, I used to use the 21 on the Contax G2 years ago shooting Trix at 1600 ISO for street stuff all the time, it was my favorite when shooting film. Funny thing is back then the viewfinder would not show more than a 28mm lens field of view or one could use the separate viewfinder, so in way I am back where I was back then except not using film

14. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Nice post processing on these. I really like photo 3 of the cyclist and the last two as well.