Maybe an X100 is just the camera for me, but...

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by yorik, Feb 4, 2013.

1. yorik

yorik FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Yonatan
    I have been lurking in the X-shadows for a while. As I posted elsewhere in this forum, I'm looking for a (slightly) more compact complement to
    my K5 kit. I would also love to have a good 35mm equivalent lens, and the X100 ticks both of these boxes with superb IQ to boot, from all that
    I've seen and read. With X100s on the horizon, one might also hope that the price of the original might come down to the $700-$800 level (or
    lower!?!).

So my question is: have all of the irritating aspects of the camera that I have read about been corrected by the various and sundry firmware updates?
    If not, what is still problematic? I'm mainly concerned with (a) the operational sluggishness (slow write times, certain functions locking up while writing to card, etc.) (b) autofocus speed and accuracy (c) manual focus.

The announcement makes it seem that the X100s fixes all the various complaints about the X100 and ups the IQ at the same time. But I'm not sure
    I want to spend $1300 and frankly the X100 IQ is already superb. So, post-firmware, is the X100 now an operational dream machine too?

Inquiring, acquisitive wannabe X-men (and women, presumably) want to know.

Thanks!

2. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    Same questions here - I'm dithering horribly between getting an X100 or an X20 so I would like a bit of reassurance about an X100 before shelling out £500. I can't afford an X100s or I'd just buy one of those!

3. boid

boid FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    a) Operational sluggishness - none. It writes on a fast card pretty quick. There were issues initially of slow write speeds on cards that were not formatted in-camera, but that's been fixed in the new firmware upgrade, but I still format in-camera (force of habit) and have never faced any slow write-speeds or any related issues.

b) Autofocus - It's better than the first iteration, but if you're coming from DSLRs you'll not be impressed. I wouldn't call it slow, just more deliberate. I've faced some issues of mis-focusing when I'm too close to my subjects, you need to set the camera on to macro focus (which is a pain) when you're within 2 feet of the subject. Otherwise it's pretty accurate. It's a CD system, unlike the new X100s which has Phase Detection as well.

c) Manual focus - Is frankly rubbish. I don't bother with it and frankly haven't felt the need to. (Sometimes I zone focus using the MF, the X100 shows a DOF scale at the bottom of the screen and it's a bit conservative).

A few more problems that exist and you haven't touched upon are -

1) Wide open the lens is not very sharp. I find myself stopping down a bit usually.

2) The AutoISO implementation is rubbish, as is the menu system. Why they haven't upgraded the menu system with the RAW button showing the quick menu is beyond me.

3) The "menu" button at the back is a pain to operate. It's recessed in a bit and you end up pressing the direction buttons instead. Solved in the X100s. There are a number of quick fixes though, I just haven't bothered with any yet.

That's it.

Now you know every negative thing about the camera.

I could write a thesis on how good the camera is though. Just buy the darn thing. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    I have an x100, and I would agree 100% with everything Boid said above .:)

5. Steve B.

Steve B. FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    It's slower than working with a DSLR but that can be a good thing. The K5 is a great camera. I used one before I switched to Nikon. I think I shot this at F2. I think don't it's all that bad wide open. But in all fairness, most lenses are better stopped down. Sharpness is an overrated concept anyway. This isn't a good photo, but just being sharp doesn't make a photo good. In fact a lot of the most boring photos I've seen are sharp and some of the best photos I've seen were taken with a Holga or Diana.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    How true... I've long since given chasing sharpness. In fact, I frequently apply a slight blur to a sharp image, because I find excessive sharpness a little unpleasant to look at.

7. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    I also find myself backing off a bit in sharpening. Looks too busy or brittle. BUT, for my type of photography (outdoor and close-up), I demand good clean definition.

• Like Like x 2
  8. yorik

yorik FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Yonatan
    The X20 is also piquing my interest... The zoom is more flexible, it has (apparently) superior autofocus and the x-trans sensor, and
    the price is rightish. My main hesitation is that I really like the simplicity (purity?) of a prime.

(Perhaps I'll win an X20 :D, and then I can buy the X100 and have the best of both worlds)

9. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Get in line with all the rest of us who are thinking exactly the same thing! :p

• Like Like x 2
  10. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ya'll back off. It's mine.:p

• Like Like x 1
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    No way! Its mine I tell ya :)

As the the original post: If I want fast AF or manual focus, I use my K-5. The x100 is not really for quick decisionmaking about a shot. But, this is one of the things I love about it. It makes me think about the shot. Fast shooting is not its forte, though the AF is better than it was...

• Like Like x 1
  12. yorik

yorik FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Northern California
    Yonatan
    That is one of the things that appeals to me about the X100 (in theory) - the slower, more deliberative process.

Having said that, I'm curious if the X100 does `face-detect' autofocus? And while we're at it, does the X10 (X20)?

13. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    I offer one caveat - set to manual focus at hyperfocal distance or zone-focused, the X100 is quick enough for great street photography. From the hip or through the viewfinder, either way there's no wait for autofocus and no delay for center AF & recompose. Great for deliberate shots, yes - but also perfectly matched to instant capture if the settings are done beforehand.

And a tip to make it a little easier to manage the tedious manual focus on the X100 - when shooting street, I am using the AFL to back-button focus if I have time to compose and want a tack-sharp image. That moves the focus out of hyperfocal distance, so I have been practicing my skill at finding a large object 15' away, then refocusing on that object with the AFL button. One button press and then I can adjust a bit with the focus ring if necessary. This gets the manual focus back to 15' (hyperfocal distance for f/4 at 19mm with the WCL-X100) - much quicker than refocusing with the ring alone.

• Like Like x 1