MC Rokkor 24/2.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kevistopheles, Mar 7, 2015.

1. kevistopheles

kevistopheles FujiXspot Veteran

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    16560717708_d2295d5615_h.
    Mongrel
    by dixeyk, on Flickr

The MC Rokkor 24/2.8 is immensely satisfying to shoot with. It may be big and heavy, but it's also sharp, has a short focus throw and peaks wonderfully on the XE1. It can also get reasonably close when I want to which makes me like it all the more.

• Like Like x 2
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    That is lovely. I wish they weren't so pricey.

3. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    Mine is the MC version so they go for a bit less than the MD version. It was a little under $200 which is around the same range as the OM24/2.8 and a bit more than the Hexanon 24/2.8. There's a local shop with a nice MD version of the 24/2.8 available and to be honest I much prefer the build quality of the older one.

4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I like my old MC 55 f1.7 better than the later MD 28 f2.8, as well. Big metal focus ring with finger-sized knurled detents... amazingly damped but smooth, solid as a tank, nice clicks on the ap ring. Just a great little bit of kit.

5. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    Yep, most of my Minolta lenses are MC's because of that. I have also not found the IQ to be any better on the MD lenses. They supposedly have better coatings but I've never noticed much difference. I have an absolutely gorgeous MC 50/3.5 macro that is a thing of beauty.

6. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    Did you take the shot above wide open? I still have a 24mm/f2.8 MC Zuiko, latest production run but my copy is a dog, the glass looks alright but it's so soft I wouldn't even want to throw it into the bay, it would swim right back to me.

7. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    The image above was shot at f4 I believe but that OM couldn't have managed anything even remotely that nice no matter what I did. I took about a hundred shots with the OM 24 and I managed to get 1 shot in focus. Rather than it being unsharp mine really seemed like the problem was that the focus peaking was not indicating anything remotely close to actually being focused for that lens. Of course no other lens I have does that. It did okay in middle distance where a small aperture really hides a lot of flaws. It truly was terrible getting close up like the image above (which is what I like to do). In the end that lens was just more trouble than it was worth. I know folks love that lens but I have had 2 of them now and neither one of them was particularly good.

I sent my to KEH.

8. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
  9. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    I've got most of my gear stored away in boxes these days but I'm looking forward to revisit my Olympus stuff one day and maybe invest some $$$ into some better copies. Back in the day I had a nice collection of Zuikos but I've sold them all long ago when I switched to Nikon. Sigh..