Breakfast: Continental or English?

I start with one followed by the other.

GRD2 Green egg and ham (Well, CS3 egg and bacon actually)

3661875047_2cbf2c3602_b.jpg

My wife is a great cook - any type of food

My daughter is great at smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and brioche - delicately done

I'm not bad at cooking this stuff - for me and "the boy" - (my son - he is now 25 years old) (Excuses for the bacon - it's French and governed by stupid EEC rules - I much prefer "english" well really danish)

breakfast_1.jpg

I guess I am the first to weigh in on the side of a Continental breakfast. Generally I like lots of fruit, some carbs and black coffee. Other than the fruit, I avoid sweet in the morning, so no juices or jams, or fancy buns, and my coffee is always black. Also, I like to start out slowly and quiet the first two hours is my time … so leave me alone. :)

Once every ten days or so I will have a full English Breakfast usually on sunday.

For me it really depends on each day.

- Oatmeal with almonds and dried cranberries
- Yogurt with fruit and granola
- Cheese grits with Bacon

For a real treat on the weekends, It is Jimmy Dean sausage patties, Two fried eggs, Southern style hashbrowns, and a Southern style biscuit with gravy. I can't eat this really any more, as to now I am dieting. But I do love it.

I have celiac disease, so I have to really watch it. Unfortunately, the local butcher who had such great gluten-free sausage just had a fire and is closed for a while. :(

My usual breakfast is hot buckwheat cereal with milk and banana + coffee that's half milk. Yemeni mocha sanani (true mocha, not that stuff with chocolate), please.

After reading this thread I decided to have breakfast for lunch. Nice sausage followed with butter milk waffles slathered topping I make of butter maple syrup, crushed walnuts and wild blue berries all heated up into a great sauce and washed down with good coffee. I am so weak and impressionable, but it is a yummy thread.

Grant, you make me laugh! Can I come up for waffles, please? As Will so aptly wrote "Num num!":love:

I love almost all of what you've all listed - except no beans for breakfast, thank you.

Usually, it's yogurt with fruit - summer is my favorite time of year for food and just about everything else - peaches, blueberries, strawberries and the ultimate favorite of all - raspberries! However, we're not in the summer now so it's yogurt and a banana...or cold cereal (Grape Nuts) with a banana or raisins... Sometimes if I'm particularly energetic - a nice big hot bowl of steel cut oats, which I love - with raisins. All that said, give me a good New York bagel every once in a while - toasted please, or an "English Muffin" with butter and marmalade - oh, and, good coffee with real whole milk has to go along with everything.
coffee-n-news_2.gif

But I do love waffles, too!:D

I love almost all of what you've all listed - except no beans for breakfast, thank you.

BB

When you come to Nova Scotia you may find that beans are a big thing for breakfast. I am not into beans in the morning, but I will eat them at church and fire hall breakfasts. It is not that I dislike bean, on the contrary, I love them just not in the morning. I make really great beans and tend serve them with Nova Scotia brown bread and quaffs of beer, this seems to be very South Shore style. In Cape Breton the tradition is to cut out the bread and add fish cakes to the meal. I like them both way and the beer part is always a plus.

I'll be looking forward to them - and the beer. My husband enjoys both with great gusto!:drinks:

One of my own sort of odd bean meals is black beans in steel cut oatmeal with grated Parmesan and/or Romano cheese. It's just that that earlier photo with the continent of beans on the breakfast plate was just a bit too much for me.:tongue:

Just spent a week in Prague where it was freezing cold. So I started breakfast early with a full English, followed that with the continental then finished off with another full English. All set for a day walking around in the cold.

I'm more continental, in that I can't eat too much heavy in the morning, though sometimes a good, hot bowl of oatmeal with fixin's hits the ticket. I do love poached eggs on toast, but for lunch :)

Back