Multi system user, and Loving it

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by jacobmyers, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jacobmyers

jacobmyers New to FujiXspot

Feb 14, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    I'm a multi system user, what i mean by this is that I have an olympus epl1 and OM-D, but also the X100s and Im loving the setup as I like my M-43 setup for action and the x100 for more candid/street work. I find that the OMD is great for action and long distance because I can configure my body How I need, but its not that great for candid work as it is a bigger setup. I Do have to say that both give great results and that i love them both. I do have to say that I'm surprised that I'm using fuji as fuji had a while were they were not that great. If anyone uses more then one system or wishes you could, post your thoughts below.

2. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    For a long time I fought having 2 systems. I felt like it wasteful always leaving a camera at home. At one point, I sold off my X100 and figured the IQ of the OMD was enough. But I missed the Fuji.....it just feels better and I like the way it makes me shoot. Then I sold off the OMD and all the lenses. Who needs it? The X100 is my one and only. But it doesn't really work for action and it is just one focal length (albeit my most used one).

Now I'm back with the OMD for macro and tele work and action when needed and I await the delivery of an X100s for my other 85% of what I like to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I run a Pentax APS-C system (K-5 and K-01) plus about a dozen lenses. I didn't intend to run more than one system, but micro four-thirds made so much sense. I purchased an early G1 with the 14-45 and 45-200mm zooms. Ratchet forward four years and I have a G5, a GX1 (Amin's fault for letting me know about a great Amazon deal on it) and an Olympus E-PM2 plus ten lenses to go with them. The system grew gradually, but here it is.

I've intentionally avoided the higher-end micro-four thirds lenses, as lovelymas they can be. All of my lenses were purchased new and most were in the $300-350 range. My most expensive lenses were the Panny 100-300 and Oly 17mm f/1.8 (both $500). With the exception of the E-PM2, all of my micro four-thirds bodies were purchased at sharp discounts, mostly on closeout.

I use both systems and enjoy both. Each system has its strengths and excels in certains stuations. Having both also keeps me from becoming bored. I tend to focus on one for a few months and then switch back to the other. Now, there's Fuji. I really can't afford a third complete system (assuming I'd buy an X-Pro or X-E1 plus three or four lenses). But Fuji's cameras really resonate with me. That's why I'll probably own an X-20 this year. An X100s is also possible after that. At least I won't be driven to buy yet another set of lenses.

4. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, IMO no one system can do it all. If you specialize and only do one thing, then great! One system might work for you. But if you have diverse shooting needs, it's pretty hard to go with just one system.

I've got an RX100, full frame DSLR and m43 currently. Looking at an X (maybe X20 or XE1)

5. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Four-thirds, m43, and now X-mount. I had been looking for a camera that had controls similar to the Digilux 3, but smaller. The X-E1 is perfect, and firstly I really like the look of its images.

6. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    m43, NEX off and on and this Fuji thing that I can't escape. Did I mention the Pentax Q? I guess the really cool thing is all the SLR lenses adapt just fine to all the bodies.

7. nianys

nianys FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    France
    Claire
    Currently shooting NEX 7 with SEL35 and legacy lenses, X10 (that I adore and is my SOLE companion for traveling), and loaners GX-1/PL25 and X100. I have to confess despite its excellent output I hate de X100 and put it back in a closet after failing to tame it for a few days. I do want a X-E1+35/1.4 badly though, and will probably get one within 2 or three months. I also have a D90 but no more lenses for it, except a venerable cheapo (and surprisingly capable) 75-240 zoom, which limits its use tremendously. I guess the NEX 7 and X10 are my two favorite cameras right now, the SE35/1.8 has really validated the NEX concept for me (prior to getting it I shot 100% adapted glass on the NEX).

8. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, too many I'm afraid. However, they all get used. Not equally mind, but enough, and if there was one just sitting in the cupboard I would (and have) move it on. Unfortunately, I tend to like variety...

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I've said it so many times I should just program a macro to type it out for me. Yeah, m43 and Fuji with the occasional other camera (currently LX7 and GRX-28). M43 does anything I need it to and does it quite well, with a huge variety of fine lenses. Fuji just has that Fuji mojo and the OVF - I wouldn't want it ONLY, but I wouldn't want to be without it either. And even if they didn't offer ANYTHING different, I just enjoy the variety. They work differently, they perform differently, so I work somewhat differently depending on what i'm shooting with. And the differences keep me on my toes. One system (m43) would meet all of my "needs". But fortunately, photography isn't about "needs" for me - its about "wants", and having a variety of stuff to shoot with meets my "wants". Fortunately I don't "want" any of the really really insanely expensive stuff, although if someone handed me an M9 or M-M and the best 28mm lens available for it, I'd be happy to give it a good solid workout... :cool:

-Ray

10. spinyman

spinyman FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Valley Center,CA.
    I am fortunate to have both an OMD and X100.I go back and forth between the two and it keeps it interesting for me.I have too many lenses,both native and legacy for m43 which drove me nuts for a while until I settled down to mainly the P14,occasionally the 9-18 and p20, and very occasionally the P25.Too many lens choices drove me to the x100,soon to be replaced by the X100s.If I was a rich man,I'm afraid I would go nuts and try everything from an RX1 to a Monochrome but I don't have that burden so am very content with what I have at the moment.

11. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Not only am I a multi system user, but the systems I use are constantly changing (more or less). Right now I shoot m4/3, 4/3 DLSRs, Canon APS-C DSLRs, Pentax APS-C DSLRs and my trusty Fujifilm X10.

A few weeks ago Pentax wasn't in that list but Nikon was. A few months prior to that Nikon wasn't in the list but Sony was. Prior to that, Sony and Canon weren't in the list but Pentax was.

I use a wide range of gear from various manufacturers and all I care about is that the technology I'm using at any given time doesn't get in the way of my creative vision and (to a lesser extent) that the camera design/feel inspires me to use it and capture more images.

Old Pentax:
    i-mM7F5wK-XL.

Old Nikon:
    DSC_1673-L.

Old Olympus 4/3:
    P6053354-L.

Canon:
    IMG_9787-L.

Old m4/3:
    PC090716-L.

Sony NEX:
    JerryJackson_favoriteoverall-L.

Newer m4/3 (OM-D):
    P2100015-L.

Newer Pentax:
    IMGP0103-L.

Bottom line: Lots of different cameras ... same crappy photographer. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. depscribe

depscribe FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Back in the olden days (when we needed to spend time in the darkroom before we were sure we'd gotten our pictures), many of us always carried Leicas and Nikons. (We were also strong as a result, and had sore backs!) Now, it's Nikons still (can't let those exquisite lenses go to waste) and Fujis. The X100, for instance, is the closest you'll find to an M-2 with a 35mm Summicron, which was the rig most often carried out and ready all the time. Though I confess that more often than not, the camera I have near to hand is an X10. Though this will change when the X20 gets released . . .

But still, I keep a bag full of Nikon D series. As I kept a bag full of Nikon F series way back when. Fujis are great, but they don't cover the entire range of photographic possibilities.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    +1 - I like the variety

14. kyteflyer

kyteflyer FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Sue
    I have a Pentax K-5 and too many lenses (and an X100, GRD3 and XZ-1), but I am also *really* interested in both the X-Pro, and the OMD. If I had a penny for every time I wished for those, I would by now have at least one of them :)