My first trip with the x-pro1

Discussion in 'Nature' started by pniev, May 19, 2013.

1. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Today I had my first (short) trip with the x-pro1 and the 18-35-60 lenses in the bag to the Keukenhof in the Netherlands . What a difference from carrying a bag with the D800 and lenses!

We were early and wanted to be out again before the buses with tourists arrived. So we had about an hour. I did not bring my tripod which I regret. Monopod works but it's not ideal.

My primary purpose to become a bit more familiar with the camera. Some impressions:
    1. the OVF is a blessing when you're outside and the sun starts to shine.
    2. the inability to set a minimum shutter speed is really annoying w/o OIS. However, I could turn that into an advantage by manually selecting aperture and shutterspeed and use auto ISO instead. This was really fun!
    3. I am afraid I won’t get used to the location of the AF button. I am so happy that Fuji changed that on the x20. Hopefully Fuji will switch the macro button (which seems to be pretty useless) with the AF button (the feature itself is great; e.g. the D800 only allows to select an AF point in the middle part. We could have the best of 2 worlds if Fuji allowed “smaller AF points” to be selected across the screen with an AF-button located on the right.
    4. Using Manual focus combined with the AF/AE button as a starting point works great! I ended up using that most of the time because it allowed me to focus and then not worry about re-focusing when I triggered the shutter. The D800 also allows to use the AF-button to focus and decouple this function from the shutter, which I found to be neat.
    5. Bokeh of the primes seem to be better than that of the 18-55mm (especially the 60mm) but it’s still not at par with the Nikon primes I tried with the D800. But the size and weight (and the accuracy of the white balance and colors) easily compensate for that.

All in all, I am very happy with my new x-pro1. Yes, sometimes the camera has difficulty in focusing (especially the 60mm) and, yes. it takes time to become familiar with the camera. But I don’t have problem with that. I am in no hurry. And actually I think it is part of the fun to take some time to build a relationship with the camera.

Anyway, enough talking. Here are some shots taken at the Keukenhof.

Thanks for looking!

Peter

View attachment 13349

View attachment 13350

View attachment 13351

I will post some others in the flowers thread.

I wanted to get that couple on the right:

[ View attachment 13352

2. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    The colors are so vibrant!

Glad that you are enjoying your X-PRO1! After looking at your photos, I want to go out and find some flowers to photograph as well!! :D

3. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Stunning shots, especially those with the 60/2.4 macro. :thumbup: May I ask if these were OOC JPGs or processed from RAW? If you used RAW, what was your workflow? Kudos!

4. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks Mikey! Glad you like it.

I prefer using the RAW files as they show more detail. The PP process is simple:
    1. Import into LR4.4 with standard preset (highlights -71, shadows +49, clarity +20, vibrance +20, subtle sharpening (amount 50, radius 0.5, detail 41 (default adobe=25-1.0-25)). I used this preset for nikon but I found it to be effective for Fuji, perhaps even more so.
    2. Check and occasionally add some contrast in midtones (usually lights +10, darks -10).
    3. export to jpeg with 80% quality

Hope this helps.

Peter

5. spinyman

spinyman FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Valley Center,CA.
    I especially like the B/W.

6. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Gorgeous! I especially liked the windmill with couple on the right in black and white, a really beautiful shot.

You're tempting me with your X-Pro shots!

7. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks! I tried a few other compositions but this one with the 18mm worked best.
    I am amazed by the DR of the x-pro/x-e.
    I am atill trying to learn to wor wit the OVF though.
    Peter

8. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Thanks! Go for it. You won't regret it!