Panasonic Just ordered a LX5

gsaronni

Regular
Well, I ordered last week, but I am still waiting. I am reading reviews and in the meantime I am taking photos with Canon G9 of my wife, I like a lot the colours of this camera

Dont know if I should get the LVF1, I had a similar one on my GX200 and I used it only in the very luminous days and for macro(gives you an steady position), the problem is the high price of this element

One of the things I disagree of the lX5 is the colour rendition of the skies and the poor AWB

I will get a filter adapter too for the polarizer and the ND8 filter

For what it's worth, I bought the electronic viewfinder - the one that people use with the GF1 and did not find it worth the money. But that's just me, I was spoiled by the Olympus EVF...and I do where glasses - "progressive lenses" - but I don't seem to have any trouble with the LCD on this little camera. I hope some others will chime in. Can you order it, try it and return it easily?

Initially, I felt the same about the color renditions and the white balance, but I seem to have figured out how to deal with it just fine now, thanks to a few pointers from Don AKA Streetshooter.

I hope you'll really like the camera. I do and I look forward to being able to take more photos with it soon, too.

BBW
First congrats on the LX5! Nice camera..love mine! As for the EVF..I have the one for the GF1 and have not yet used it on the LX5 or even placed it on it. I find that in most cases the LCD is fine and if not, since I have both cameras with me, I simply pick up the GF1 and take the pic.

As for buying and returning a EVF.. I buy from Amazon and you get a 30 day return no matter what..most reputable dealers will give you 30 days and take the return if still in good condition.

Hope you enjoy this little wonder as much as I am.

gsaronni

Don't know if this info helps or not on the WB issue...copied and pasted from the Panasonic LX5 site: The IR feature is great too..if you turn it on.

2-axis adjustment feature gives you a finer white balance adjustment for Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Shade, Flash, or Halogen conditions. It can also be used when adjusting the Color Temperature setting or White Set function. You can adjust with a reference to the horizontal axis for amber to blue and the vertical axis for green to magenta*.
With still image recording, you can use the White Balance Bracket setting, which automatically shoots 3 consecutive photos with slight changes to the white balance setting of each photo in both the vertical and horizontal axes, by simply pressing the shutter button once.

* White balance adjustment is not possible in some modes.

gsaronni,
First off, congrats on making a great decision. The camera is a real partner. I do have the finder because I use it sometimes on the GF1. So, it's nice to have the finder interchangeable for both cameras. Your right, for macro work, it's a very big advantage to steady up. With the IS on and finder, it's real easy to frame. I don't know what software you use so I won't comment on WB procedures as each software works differently.
I will say that with patience, you will get great results. Enjoy the camera and the journey it takes with you....
Don

Thanks for the answers. If using RAW there is no problem with the colour rendition, but fir compacts I prefer to get nice JPGs from camera. Maybe I will try to adjus the WB for sunny days giving less magenta and more yellow to the wb fine tuning

I will pass on the LVF, maybe if I can get a cheap second hand one I will give it a try. I used very little times on my Ricoh, so I think this camera will be the same. I am a glass user, and one of this days I will have to maget a progressive glasses

Regards

Just thought I'd mention this...
The GGC screen protector for the LX3 fits the LX5 perfectly.
It says LX3 on the back in small letters, so if your one of those nuts from that other forum, this will bother you.
If I know you any way at all...
This will not bother you...
$9.95 on the Bay...
Don

I was going to go the invisishield route due to my using the hard leather case (yes, the Leica D-LUX3 one because I like its design better for my needs) which the LX5 slides into perfectly. How much depth is there to a GGC screen protector?

GGC..GGS ... Dunno ... The glass thing...
Billn turned me on to it...
Now I'm an addict...I even quit using the Zagg...
The Horror!

Just checked my EBay... It's GGS..$9.75 USD...

Last week I bought a GGS for LX3, I suppose I will receive it sooner than the camera. I use this GGS on the G9, GX200, and I always recommend it, as a cheap but quality solution.

Just ordered.... and received.... the GGS protector... on the recommendations on this thread...

What can I say ???? ....but BRILLIANT !!! thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction.... I've tried the soft ones before, and all I can say is.. they are sadly, all lacking...lol. But this glass one fits perfectly on the LX5 as mentioned in previous posts....

Thanks again for the info....

Mal.

Received the GGS thing, but still no camera for it. The seller told me maybe next week there will be new stock, and I have to wait since the price was hard to beat

I will need the whole patience in the world:)

Mal,
I've used Zagg for years but a few Bill's on another forum suggested the GGS.
I can't find anything better. Glad ya like it but the credit goes to the Bill's.

gsaronni, I feel your pain and I will stop using my camera till yours arrives so you don't feel alone....
Nah...... Don

Back