My new holy trinity

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by KillRamsey, Mar 7, 2016.

1. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I'm settling into have 3 lenses in my bag for normal events - indoor party, biking around, dinner at a friend's, whatever.

Rokinon 12mm f2
    XF 23 f1.4
    XF 56 f1.2

Some friends had a party at a bowling alley / pizza joint yesterday, and I tossed my usual bag over my shoulder as we left. I'm glad I did, as no one else brought more than a phone. And that's cool - two of them are professionals, and frankly they're entitled to relax once in awhile! But I was glad I got some of these. Very harsh, bright light in an otherwise dim place, so dynamic range was huge. And the 56 was a good choice.

25501376461_c54a566958_c. KBRX2720 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

25475484592_72f83c00d4_b. KBRX2758 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

25298455210_0c2dd3c8ec_b. KBRX2770 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

25594045605_247cd81e71_b. KBRX2825 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 9
  2. Iansky

Iansky FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Ian Lloyd-Grahm
    Great set of photos here that capture the event, good job you were on the case.

3. bluzcity

bluzcity FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 24, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I'm trying to decide between the 16 and 23. Did you struggle with that decision or was the 23 a given for you? I've shot quite a bit with a 24 on a Canon 5D but don't have as much experience with a 35 focal length.

4. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I struggled a little, but not with each vs the other...

For me, I was very familiar with 35mm Equiv FOV from the X100, so I knew I'd like the FOV. My struggle on the 23 was whether it would be redundant with the old X100 still around, but really the XT is just such a better camera that I really only use the X100 when I get nostalgic. One day i just shrugged and got the 23, and other than it being kinda porky, it's a stellar lens that gets used often.

I was HOOKED on the 16 as soon as specs leaked, and was quite sure I'd get one. But then I thought harder about what I was likely to DO with it... I really don't shoot too many people candid walking-around shots with something that wide, from corner distortion. I can, as long as they're centered, but I have to be careful. But I really love taking star shots sometimes, and I read that saggital coma was the one weakness of the new 16. Then I read about the rokinon 12 f2, and saw its $319 price tag, and dove in. So I get a much wider, more exaggerated FOV (a nice thing, when that's the effect you want), I get VERY crisp star shots when those chances arrive, and I've discovered that manual focus with it is pretty easy. It's turned out that the rokinon 12 was a better use of $ for me than the XF 16, without a doubt.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ FujiXspot Rookie

Feb 23, 2016
    Really nice set of photos and I can definitely attest to the quality of the 23mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.2 lenses as I used to own the very same combo when I had my X-Pro1. My favourite carry-round combo is a 35mm and 85-90mm set as they're usually light, fast and I've seldom had the need for ultra-wide or ultra-long.

I've recently traded my Fuji kit - but I still have access to my wife's X-T1 and her 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 lenses when I want something longer, wider and/or with an EVF and auto focus. At present I'm shooting Leica M240 and M7 and sharing lenses - mainly as I couldn't justify having two competing rangefinder kits and I decided on keeping the Leica. That said, I am seriously considering an X100T (or whatever replaces it) as a pocketable daily, carry-round.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jag Sampath

Jag Sampath New to FujiXspot

Feb 17, 2016
    I have settled with XF 14mm f2.8, XF 23mm f1.4 and XF 56mm f1.2.

I did try the Rokinon 12mm f2 as well XF 10-24 but finally decided on 14mm f2.8. 12mm was bit too why and the inability to auto focus is a bit of a let down.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I had the 14, and found that I rarely used it. I traded it for an 18-55, which I didn't have. I'm not sure WHY I never got along with the 14, but I surely didn't. Sometimes I miss autofocus on the 12, mostly when I hand the camera to my wife. Mostly I find it isn't hard to focus quickly, or I can hyperfocus it.