My take on the X100S - a short review

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by kaiserkudo, Mar 25, 2013.

1. kaiserkudo

kaiserkudo New to FujiXspot

Mar 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey guys - here is a quick preliminary review after having the X100S for the past two weeks.

Fuji X100S - Two weeks in...

Edit- April 7th - new pics and blog post added below.

2. afkenner

afkenner FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Adam
    Nice quick review, points out some real highlights of the camera and includes great photos.

3. snkenai

snkenai FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Campbellsville, KY
    My kind of "First" review. Quick, and to the point. More later, is also good. Gives first and later impressions, which sometimes change over time and usage.

4. kaiserkudo

Mar 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks. I'll be testing it out on some outdoor/ location shoots using OCF and high speed synch with an Einstein strobe pack- results should be interesting :)

5. melonbread

melonbread FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Melbourne
    thanks for the reviews and the photos. It was a good read.

6. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Thanks for the quick but good review! Even in good light, the X100 wasn't always reliable or quick. So at the very least, X100s is an improvement under good light. Good to know.

7. kaiserkudo

Mar 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    So far I'm quite happy with the little X100s. I used it as my only travel camera on a recent trip to Melbourne and it performed pretty well. AF struggled in poor light but I found manual focus somewhat usable. I haven't gotten around to updating my versions of CS4/LR from CS$ and LR3 - so I'm unable to give my verdict on the latest ACR RAW conversion. I have however been shooting RAW and using the in-camera editor to create JPEGS to my liking.

Melbournians will recognize these scenes :)

i-JhTQx9t-XL.
    F/2 1/45s ISO 6400 Film simulation Provia

i-qGtwGvv-XL.
    F/2 1/220s ISO 200 Film simulation Astia

i-h8J6GGp-XL.
    F/2 1/150s ISO 800 Astia

i-PwxHWtX-XL.
    F/2 1/30s ISO 500 Astia

i-htd4vpr-XL.
    F/5.6 1.3s ISO 200 Astia

i-pFdL5k6-XL.
    Double exposure blend for night scape and room interior

If you're interested in seeing more of the photos from the trip and a few words to go along with it - you can find the blog post here

The full SmugMug gallery can be found here

8. chrisnmn

chrisnmn FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 28, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris Leskovsek
    great images, love that double exposure one! You did it in camera i imagine?. congrats on the review as well. I agree with all of it. Ive got same impressions as yours.

9. kaiserkudo

Mar 25, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hey Chris, the double exposure was done in post- I took two manual exposures in camera then used layer masks in CS4 to blend them. I'm not sure yet how the in camera double exposure would have handled that scene- something to experiment with :)

Cheers

10. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I enjoyed your write-up. Makes me want to run out and get a X100s.

Gary