My Thoughts on the X-E2 a Few Days In

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by khollister, Nov 24, 2013.

1. khollister

khollister FujiXspot Rookie

Nov 20, 2013
    Just posted thoughts and observations on my new X-E2. Hope it is mildly entertaining and moderately useful (or vice versa)

http://khollister.zenfolio.com/blog

The executive summary is I love the camera and the lenses I got for it (the 14mm is amazing).

Keith

• Like Like x 1
  2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Nicely -- and entertainingly -- written.

I had to chuckle at your bit on sensor size. In a blog post of my own I said something similar but with even more hyperbole by stating that perhaps if you want the ultimate in low pixel noise you might want a sensor the size of a truck, lol. You stopped at 8x10... but then you're probably more sane.

At any rate, you're another voice saying that the quality is much higher than the X100S and that surprises me since they are alleged to be the same sensor. For my needs though for now (and since I recently became unemployed) I will probably stick with my current X system but it's nice to know it's advancing so well.

Thanks for the review.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Thanks Keith, a good review - you haven't helped my GAS ;).

4. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    Keith, enjoyed this article. Made me laugh:D

But, I still like my poor old X-E1, its paid for,bought it used , cheap, Happy as a clam, and does everything I want it to do. But you have me thinking about the XE2, But Since I usually do not shoot much that is moving faster than a caterpillar, [Just Kidding] I think I am just going to enjoy my old XE1. And turn off the "GAS."

Seriously , great article thanks for posting it !
    Dennis.

5. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Thank you Keith, great blog, your thoughts on photography reflect mine, (except you capture better images). For sports, after a lot of work with the EM5, I found that S-AF worked okay. True, it is a lot more effort with a lot less keepers than a dSLR on servo, but still the captures are adequate for most non-professionals. (The difference being that pro sports shooter have the competition immediately next to them on their left and immediately next to them their right ... µFT cannot keep up with a pro dSLR. But in a non-competitive environment, with less-than-pro expectations, the EM5 in lightening fast S-AF mode, with constant pumping of the focus button, is sufficient. Again, I really like your supporting images. Many LR users find that LR isn't the best RAW processor for Fuji. What's your take?

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  6. khollister

Nov 20, 2013
    When I tried the X100S, I tried LR 5.2, C1 7, Iridient & PhotoNinja. If I had kept the camera, C1 was probably the best, although LR's main shortcoming to my eyes was that the default was softer and lower contrast (which could be adjusted).

With the X-E2, LR 5.3RC is the only thing I have tried, since C1 doesn't have X-E2 support yet and I was not too impressed with Iridient & PN for various reasons (some IQ, some the SW itself). LR 5.3 certainly isn't doing anything too bad, as I hope my images demonstrate. I will say the color balance seems spot on with no adjustment in most cases, something I can't always say for my Nikon and Panasonic files. The files sharpen up OK without artifacts, the noise levels seem similar to the JPG's at NR=-2 with only a touch (8-15) of luma NR on ISO 800-3200. I haven't seen any weird color pollution or moire like many have complained about.

I will try C1 once the camera is supported, but I have issues at the moment with LR and the workflow is certainly easier than patching in a different program into my LR workflow.

Given how the JPG's and raw's compare at default settings in 5.3 with the X-E2 versus the JPG & raw in 5.2 on the X100S, I am inclined to think Adobe has made some significant improvements in handling X-Trans files with 5.3. Time will tell.

• Like Like x 1
  7. juangrande

juangrande FujiXspot Regular

Being born and raised in Louisiana, I love that shot of the Spanish moss!

8. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Just got my E2 yesterday! Black just like my coffee.

Gary

9. khollister

Nov 20, 2013
    Awesome - Friend of mine just bought one today after trying mine at lunch :D

10. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    I succumbed and placed an order last night - can't wait.

11. DH59

DH59 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    South Yorkshire, UK
    Collecting mine on Tuesday!