My tribute video to the now-closed melt shop (the steel mill where I worked)

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by entropic remnants, Nov 17, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Well, it's not popular with the Illuminati of photography and I've already had to explain myself on the concept, so I think I'll do the same here, lol. Here's my answer to a chorus of people who found it pretty bad on serious compacts -- and that's okay, but I do want to explain the concept here since I think everyone was expecting one of my "arty" pieces rather than a head banging music video, lol.

3. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Liked it there, like it here too, just sayingggggg....

• Like Like x 1
  4. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Ha ha, thanks! Nobody has jumped on it over here... yet, lol.

5. Isoterica

Isoterica FujiXspot Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    I know, so I decided to 'baptize' the thread :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Hi John,

I've seen your photos and the video is a great idea. You must have had had some fun in harmonising the photos and the music. ;-)
    And probably you intended it to be upbeat instead of melancholic, which I understand. So I like it (although I don't particularly like the music. I wonder how this would go with Linkin Park)
    The funny thing is that I recognised some people from the photos, despite the fact that the photos switch so quickly. Our non-conscious brain at work!

Great work (and it must have been laborious!)

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  7. entropic remnants

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks, Peter! The Benjamin Gate is an acquired taste in my experience. I got the first album from one of my daughters and they grew on me, but I decided to inflict them on the world at large, lol. There's a lot of great stuff hidden in their lyrics and the lyrics had a couple of things that hooked into the video so I couldn't resist.

And yes, it's supposed to be entertainment and not art -- but that's my way of doing a tribute in this case. I went to a meeting about COBRA benefits (if you're not familiar, a way to continue your medical benefits after layoff) and even a guy I'd never met came up to me to tell me how much he liked it and watched it several times already.

So, although I understand some of the criticism form others based on expectations, and Isoterica's excellent technical criticisms over on Serious Compacts (she really nailed it on a bunch of things), it is having the desired effect for my target audience so I'm grateful for that.

• Like Like x 1