My X-E1 just got a lot more comfortable

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Got three things in the mail for my X-E1:

1) Thumbs Up EP-9S

2) Abrahamsson Mini Softrelease

3) B+W Clear Filter for the 18-55 kit lens

#1 and 2 make a huge difference in holding comfort and stability :)

#3 lets me clean the lens with my shirt any time without concern as to the condition of my shirt or lens ;)

Here she is with the new wares:

8467125414_6a02492e63_z.

• Like Like x 2
  2. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Woh! I've got to have 1) and 2), yesterday I could have used 3) in the snow storm. Cleaned the lens with my cotton tee anyway, none-the-worse for the wear. :)

3. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Is anyone using any sort of grip for the X-E1? I felt like the X-Pro got better when it got bigger and felt like the X-E1 was too small. I think for me, the X-E1 with a grip would be prime. Your rig looks sweet Amin!

4. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    That's a really handsome set up.

That's exactly how I felt.

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    For those on a budget, Lensmate has released a thumb rest for the XE-1 that's about 40% cheaper than the ThumbsUp model. I have Lensmate rests for X100 and X10, and they're certainly adequate for my purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

I have a Lensmate thumb rest and Abrahamsson Mini soft release (red/purple) for my X10 and it's like night and day.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    They should just build these things into the camera and then reap props from reviewers everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

9. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  10. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

If I recall that kit comes with an actual Match Technical Thumbs Up ($124) and Abrahamsson soft release ($20) so it's like getting the soft release free...of course it's a black soft release which is IMHO pretty blah. I bought the Lensmate thumb rest ($50) and a red Abrahamsson soft release for a little more than half of the Fuji kit. I think the Lensmate thumb rest is also very nice.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I got mine from Popflash, who give a small discount when you buy the Thumbs up with a soft release: http://www.popflash.com/index.php?p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all&search_str=x-e1

They let you choose the softie color - I decided on all black, but the red is nice also.

12. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can see the advantage in handling that the thumb grip gives, but I wouldn't want to make it harder to access the exposure compensation dial.

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Nic, I was accidentally moving the exposure compensation dial when putting the camera in and out of my bag and shooting without realizing it had moved. This seems to have solved that and still leaves good access to the dial.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

On the X10 it blocks the mode dial a bit.

15. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Popflashis where igot my soft release...they're great. I think the soft releases are terrific. I prefer color myself but what're suits your fancy.

16. crsnydertx

crsnydertx FujiXspot Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    As I normally shoot in aperture priority mode, I consider that a feature, not an impediment! :D

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

Same here. I rarely even touch the mode dial so it's not a big deal. What is a bigger deal is the soft release. The first soft release I got was a larger sized Match Technical "Beep" soft release (cool enameled red with a gold dragon) but it was too big. The Abrahamsson mini soft release is a much better fit for the X10. I'll save the "beep" for the eventual XE-2.

18. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Such a gorgeous camera!

19. ddb

ddb New to FujiXspot

Feb 12, 2013
    I use the X-Pro lensmate thumb rest on an X E1 and it works fine. I am going to order one for my X Pro also. I have the Fuji grip on the X Pro and for me it feels more secure with the thumb rest and grip.

20. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ah, okay. I see why it could be useful in that case. I tend to ride the EV comp. dial fairly hard (ETTR and all that) and will trim it quite often so unrestriced access is more imprtant to me. Actually, I'm heartened to hear that the EV comp. dial on the X-E1 is easy to turn!