New AF modes for XT

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Luke, May 11, 2015.

1. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the coming firmware updates look pretty amazing. I'm particularly excited for the AF-C + zone. It should make shooting my wife riding her horse much easier.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-t1/en/

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  3. Marco

Marco New to FujiXspot

May 11, 2015
    Dear Rico,
    I am a partially happy user of a X-A1 and previously a frustrated user of an X-E1, and before I was an happy Pentax user.
    A big frustration I have with Fuji bodies is the bad implementation of auto iso.
    When I set auto iso, the camera instead of telling me what iso it is going to choose, just tells me "auto 3200" (In the case I choose 3200 as max iso). I have to half press the button to see what iso the camera will choose. I would like to have this information in real time, without half pressing the shutter button. Pentax implements perfectly the three most important parameters: Shutter, Aperture, ISO. Why Fuji can't copy from who knows the job?
    I hope this firmware upgrade will fix this terrible bug, otherwise I will renunce to Fuji system and sell my xf. (I appreciate the exp. compensation in manual mode)
    I love the compactness, the physical controls of the x-t1, the quality of the lenses. But the firmware is just nos as good as the hardware. That's why I'm stuck with an x-a1 waiting for a good body where I can fix my xf lenses.
    Thank you for reading my bad english and I hope I will infect you with my auto-iso frustration so you will talk about this to Fuji engineers next time. ;)
    (It also will be nice to create new folders on camera)
    Sincerely,
    Marco

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stephen S

Stephen S FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    East Bay, Northern California
    Stephen Scharf
    Marco,
    Your comments are good ones, and I shot with my X100T in Auto ISO on Saturday and understand where you're coming from. My advice is to contact Fujifilm and let them know your thoughts and concerns. They really do listen (unlike many other camera companies), and they really do care.

On another note, this firmware update is a big bonus for customers.

5. Marco

Marco New to FujiXspot

May 11, 2015
    Just sent them this message:

I have an important suggestion for X series cameras.

When AUTO ISO is activated, it is necessary to SHOW THE ISO setting the camera is going to use IN REAL TIME, and not only half pressing the shutter button.

So, instead of showing "AUTO,MaximumIso" it should show "AUTO,ActualIso" or "MaximumIso,ActualIso".

It is just like the Pentax implementation on the TAv mode:

It is a major bug I noticed on all Fujifilm bodies and it makes me hesitate if I have to follow with the (otherwise beautiful) cameras.

The second suggestion I give is the possibility to create a new folder into the sd card directly from the camera. It is a very useful function I used a lot with other cameras.
    I hope you will listen my suggestion.
    Sincerely,
    Marco

I cross my fingers and hope someone will listen to me.

6. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    This is definitely a good suggestion. Of course, it can only work when DR is set to a fixed value, as Auto-DR is only decided when the shutter is half-pressed. And DR affects ISO. Writing to Fuji is the right approach, the more, the merrier!