New conundrum

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Lensflare, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Lensflare

Lensflare FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 6, 2017
    I have a new conundrum for you all to chew the fat about. SD cards for the XT2.

Yes, I can read the manual. Fuji require me to spend out on something like an SDXC class3 64GB card FOR EACH SLOT. I have no doubt that these are very wonderful pieces of silicon engineering indeed, but why the hell would I NEED 64Gb ? Even for 30 minutes of video filming in 4k I bet a 16GB card would stow it away in just a few of its pockets and not even open the rucksack on its back. Just what is the requirement of this huge memory for?

Now, before you jump in with what you have been suckered into going and buying. I had an 8GB card in my little point and squirt (Nikon P7800), I was suckered into buying this card, because in reality I expect a 1GB would have covered everything I ever did on it. (I still use that camera and have stuck a 4GB card that was lying around in it, some little Kingston horror wearing a blue uniform, so must be from the RAF). I haven't had the camera more than a week, and needed something to shove in the slot to play with. It turns out that this 30MB/s old school, Sandisk SDHC class 1 card works perfectly. I even did some video of geese coming over, badly because I haven't worked out how to alter the exposure in video mode yet, but it recorded perfectly, without any hold ups or hitches and the video clips have downloaded perfectly. Maybe had I splashed out £150 on fancy cards I could have saved myself 2 or 3 minutes while they transferred from the card to the confuser, possibly not because the cockroach drive in my confuser is likely to be a bottleneck anyway.

Any thoughts on cards folks, please? Has anyone had similar experiences? has anyone had any glitches from my approach of using older, smaller capacity and slower write speedmcards? I am tempted to just buy another one of these, or maybe the smallest capacity of the higher class card available for the second slot. Currently I am just shooting onto the one card. A BIG SHOOT for me would be maybe 200 shots, hence why I say; what do I need all that wasted capacity for? Perhaps there is a technical reason for it that I don't know. What say you?

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    As always, it depends. I have an X-Pro2 not an X-T2 but they are directly comparable. I tend to use Sandisk 32gb Extreme Plus SDHC cards with a rated transfer speed of 80mb/s, They meet 99% of my needs. Where they max out is the write speed when I am shooting something like motorsport or aerial displays. I never use a card larger than 32mb, by the way, because I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I use the same cards that Bill is using. With the same results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I have been using Lexar 2000X 32GB cards, the capacity of these is more than adequate, if you want greater capacity use another SD card!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks all - bought a 32GB Sandisk Extreme pro, U3 but class 1 I think it is - 95MB/s anyway. Cheaper than 10 rolls of film used ot be, and takes up a heck of a lot less space!

I think we photographers who remember the days of working with film forget how lucky we are. No seperate bag for stashing used rolls in, very few times do we have to 'reload a film' during the day - a card is film for the day (and beyond). Amazing convenience.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You got the right one. I've never had issues with SanDisk cards.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I have the same UHS Class II Sandisk 16gb card I got new with the XT1 some 3-4 years ago. I just wanted to add that, concerning "how much more can I fit on this card?", one of the few things I have on in the Custom display settings is a little countdown in the top right corner of how many more shots I can fit on the card at the size I'm currently shooting at. Starts off around 3,000 something, which is pretty hard to fill up. Makes it very easy to gauge when I might ever need to toss in a backup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    The only time I have flipped from card #1 to card #2 is shooting at an airshow, when I machine-gun for obvious reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Ooh, good info right there. Could you give an idea of how you set that up please - it is probably called something stupid that I would overlook!

I still can't see the reason for that, no. There is still the decisive moment, so 2 or 3 shots at the right time is all you need.

Shooting at, say 10 fps (it makes the maths easy in my head) and 1000th second, for 10 shots, means you catch 10x 1000ths of that second.
    That means you MISSED 990x 1000ths of them. :biggrin:

11. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Did I say I had done that? I am a sniper by inclination. Air displays require discipline; shooting in short bursts. It is all too easy to lose track and lose focus on your subject. "Spray and Pray" does not work.

But. When an air display lasts 5 hours you get through a lot of frames (and batteries).

I shall be a little less imprecise in my choice of terminology in future...

Wings and Wheels Dunsfold August 2014 X-T1 Spitfire Mk IXB Mustang P51D 6. Wings and Wheels Dunsfold August 2014 X-T1 Lancasters 5 100% crop.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    (8fps) I do it with biking sometimes, or when people are jumping off waterfalls. Each shot is quite different from the next, and being able to pick 2 later is nice.

(Custom Settings) I'm going from memory here, but on the Menu, under Display, you should find a Custom option on the list. Going into that Custom option gives you a LONG list of items which can be checked or unchecked. You've got the historgram, an electronic level (I like it), film sim, shooting mode, and god knows what all else. But one of them is Frames Remaining, if memory serves. That's your guy. Personally, I want to see battery, frames remaining, level, shutter speed, aperture, and the focus box, and really not much of anything else.

13. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Veteran

May 21, 2015
    Frames Remaining:

It's actually Tool Menu 1, the third from the bottom if you're looking at the Nav bar on the left side (Blue 1 with a Wrench) - go in there, select Screen Setup.

Then scroll down to the very last item: Disp. Custom Settings

Then you can select checkboxes against everything you want to show up in the LCD/Viewfinder - Frames Remaining is on the very last Page (4th), second from the top, under the Dynamic Range checkbox.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    Great stuff, thanks guys. There is so much customisation possible the menu is pretty complicated. Easy layout, but comprehensive, a bit like a dictionary!

15. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Yup. Also, you're going to change your mind, which is cool. Throw some things on, then if you find it too cluttered, start removing things you find you can live without.

16. Lensflare

Aug 6, 2017
    I like the grid - I bought a grid screen for the early Nikons, I have always ahd a grid when possible - 30 years ago. Even on the RZ I drew one on with a chinagraph pencil, and it stayed there.

• Like Like x 1