NEW FIRMWARE IDEA for XPro1, X-E1, X-E2, X-T1 etc...

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by ImageNation, May 9, 2014.

1. ImageNation

ImageNation FujiXspot Rookie

May 1, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Rob
    Fuji has (in my opinion) made some poor decisions about TTL Flash Support, especially using Sunpak as an OEM (we go waaay back). Whilst I am happy to see that Nissim will be supporting them (I want my Fuji 866Di) I realize that it is not likely to happen any time soon.

I used to work with a verteran wedding and event photographer whose mantra was "Flash output is like money and eyemakeup", "You can never have too much, and never use it too subtlelty!" I guess you had to hear the gruff voice with which he would impart this gem to appreciate it, followed by "war stories" of shooting weddings with nothing but a Crown Graphic with 127mm Rodenstock, 20 Film Holders a pack of 35 sheets of Pan X and 21 #3 Photoflashbulbs. When I think about him, I realse how far we have come. But I digress......

There is one bit of functionality that Fuji should be able to fit into current firmware which would be a boon to all, that would be what I call a Flash Priority Mode. This mode (would be great to be assignable to a custom key) would let you enter your flash Guide Number. choose one of several shutter speeds (15-180 or whatever the X Synch Max is) and then the camera would either set the Aperture corresponding to the focus distance. Anyone who used a Nikon 45/2.8 GN lens or one of many 1970s rangefinders will follow. In fact, if shutter speeds are not restricted, and you can override the chosen F-Stop it could take a lot of pain and mental arithmetic out of fill flash for those of us who have limited time to shoot, or who live in climatically challenged locations!!