New kit to greet the second half of the year.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bilzmale, Aug 4, 2013.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    Yes, I know I promised a 12 month moratorium on adding gear in 2013. Well there goes another broken promise.

First up I've sold all my micro 4/3 kit (a GH2 and assorted lenses) because I just wasn't using it enough. Net income around $2000. I still believe m4/3 is a worthwhile system but I've become bored with it and the 2x crop factor.

Next I sold my Fuji X100 - a fine camera but I never bonded with it's fixed 23mm prime lens. Image quality is excellent as we know but I guess I'm a zoom kind of guy. Netted around $700 on that one.

I'm keeping the Sony RX100 as it's just about the perfect 'pocket/always with you camera'. Its 20MP 1 inch sensor gives great, low noise images but it doesn't have the 'soul' that I've come to love in the Fuji range. I'm also keeping the infra red converted Canon G5 as I quite enjoy that genre too.

This brings me to my new kit built up over the last 4 weeks. It is based around the Fuji X-E1 with a 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 zoom lens bought as a store demo for $1000. I've since added the 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 tele zoom lens ($800); 35mm f/1.4 fast prime ($500); 60mm f/2.4 macro lens ($550). I've also ordered a Samyang 8mm f/2.4 fisheye. This lot has a net outlay of about $500 and I've got a faster set of glass with better image quality. There is the 10-24mm ultra wide zoom to be released in December that would round the kit out nicely.

I know this brands me as a bit of a 'gear head' and a GAS sufferer but I blame my OCD for that (I obsess about things and sometimes buy compulsively much to my wife's chagrin).

Will I take better photos? Probably not. Will I regain my enthusiasm for shooting (daily at the moment)? Definitely yes.

So that's my story - what's your reaction?

2. capodave

capodave FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Mission Viejo CA
    Dave Kavlich
    Very similar story Bill.
    Sold all 4/3's gear also.
    Sold X100.
    Cranked up on X E1 and lenses.
    Am very happy with this system.

3. entropic remnants

entropic remnants Solving for X

Jul 28, 2013
    Bill's got GAAAASS!!! Bill's got GAAAASS!!! [in a taunting child voice]

Well, it sounds like a good system. I just bought an X100 to supplement micro four thirds which I still like very much since getting the good zooms. I have to say I still don't get being "bored" with a camera system. It works or it doesn't for your photos but being "bored" seems to imply that it's somehow supposed to be entertaining? You can explain that if you want -- maybe you mean something different by the word?

But at any rate, these Fuji's seem to be something special and I can sure understand somebody embracing them wholeheartedly. They don't have the lenses I'd like yet but I'm sure they will. I want fast constant aperture.

Looking forward to your pictures!

4. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I'm trying to sell all my m43 gear as well!!

Have fun with your new camera!

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Bill, your accounting practices balance everything out.:biggrin_old:

6. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just finished selling off my bloated m43 kit. I found that I had so many choices I was often paralyzed by choice. I have simplified with an X100s for 50% of my shooting and the X-Pro1 with 18-55 and that awesome 35mm for the rest of the time. The 18-55 just arrived.....if I fall in love with it, I may get the 55-200 and be done with a pretty minimal kit. If I'm not in love with the zoom, I may just get a Fuji bridge camera and accept that the IQ won't be there, but that $400 purchase will keep me from spending a few thousand on stuff I don't really need.

I think your move is a good one if it makes you enjoy shooting more and you haven't broken the bank.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 3, 2013
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill
    I found this article located by Boid over at SC enlightening.

I do have an 'identity crisis' since taking early retirement in 2000. I was a secondary school administrator and found myself subject to mental illness in 1998. I've struggled for the last 15 years and believe I tried to re-invent myself a(s an amatuer) photographer. To feed this new identity I got involved with forums and started the chase after the 'right gear'.

I mention this not to seek your pity or even understanding - I enjoy technology and the digital darkroom, and photography in all its forms give me pleasure. I do have a pretty good grasp of what drives me and I'm happy to say my mental health is presently pretty good ( but my OCD still gives me GAS :cool:).

8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    :thumbup: And as for that OCD GAS, try some charcoal tablets.:biggrin_old::wink_old:

9. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I'm keepin' my µ4/3 stuff, (looking at the GX7), I like µ4/3 for action, but Fuji is my camera of choice for 90% of the stuff I shoot. I collected a pair of XP1'a ana X100s (couldn't pass on the good deals). I've acquired all of the Fuji lenses except the 18mm. (The kit zoom is pretty good at 18mm.) Lately I traded my 14mm for the Zeiss 12mm (plus cash) and on Friday I picked up the Zeiss 32mm. (Anybody want a Fuji 35mm?)

I was about to dump the XP1's due to the AF ... but decided to hang in there until FW3.0/3.01. The improved AF has keep me a Fujian ... Fuji-ite ... Fujican ...I'm one of those.

Gary

10. RonSmith

RonSmith FujiXspot Veteran

Jul 23, 2013
    Michigan
    Ron Smith
    Bill, one of the things I love best about being an amateur these past 41 years is that I can buy or sell whatever gear I wish as long as my family is still eating regularly.

Like Gary, I am keeping my m4/3 gear, which now consists of the GH3, GF1 and two ancient G1s, along with some wonderful lenses. I sold my GH2, and really like the GH3.

Nonetheless, having recently sold a couple of Leica M lenses that were too valuable to keep as collectibles, I bought the X-E1 and XF35/1.4 about a week and a half ago, and I love it! I also got some adapters so I can use my Leica M and Nikkor lenses. I will probably get the 14/2.8, and I'm really looking forward to the 56/1.2 that will be coming out in a few months.

There is something almost "Leica-like" about shooting with the X-E1 that I'm really enjoying very much.

11. monk3y

monk3y FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    I just updated my firmware, as I just picked up the X-E1 today and wow what a big improvement!! awesome!!:D

12. Mikey

Mikey FujiXspot Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Louisville, KY
    Similar story here so can't blame you for the move. Like you, I'm very happy after switching from an OM-D. And the latest firmware just upped the ante even more against the MFT system. Sometimes I do miss the crop factor and with being able to shoot with that magnificent 75/1.8 lens. Wishing Fuji comes out with a longer prime telephoto, 100/2 perhaps? Or a 100/2.8 if it can double as a macro lens with OIS (the 60/2.4 doesn't quite cut it for me especially since it doesn't have OIS).