New pancake zoom

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by BobbyT, Jan 31, 2018.

1. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
  2. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    very cool

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'm quite taken with it on paper. Given that I am primarily a prime user a small, good quality "travel zoom" with a decent wide end that won't see a huge amount of use but is there when I need it is really appealing to the extent that I'd seriously consider bed-and-breakfasting my venerable, larger, heavier 18-55 for one...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    It would make a great lightweight travel landscape lens.

5. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Exactly - and it would also work well for citybreaks. Bit put off by the thought of a power zoom though...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    That's my only hangup... power zoom. But -shrug- if they're cheap, and sharp, and small, hell it would be an awesome travel lens, with the rokinon 12 and/or 35 f1.4 in the bag too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Looks like it's a normal knurled ring like other zooms, just not a physical connection.

8. AndyMcD

AndyMcD FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Not sure how I would feel about a power zoom, looks a pretty good size for a travel lens though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mikEm13

mikEm13 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 7, 2017
    When I use a zoom I move the FOL around a lot so Im wondering what that will do to battery life.

10. battleaxe

battleaxe FujiXspot Regular

Jun 17, 2014
    California
    I like the price a lot as it's similar price to many of those Samyang 12mm and 14mm MF lenses, and this comes with AF and OIS(hopefully it's decent).

11. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    ^ True. This zoom gets you a LOT more flexibility, whereas the Rok's get you f2. For daytime work, the pancake XC is probably going to be a serious, cheap workhorse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AndyH44

AndyH44 FujiXspot Regular

Does this new 15-45 extend when zooming or focusing?

13. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I haven't seen any photos of it in use... I strongly, strongly suspect it does, because "XC".

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    If it is small and light, and capable of decent quality in good conditions it will have a place in my travel bag. For the relatively light use it would get alongside my other lenses I can forgive it a compromise or two, like slower apertures and non- WR. It's just the power-zoomyness that slightly concerns me...

15. AndyH44

AndyH44 FujiXspot Regular

Agree. Some EZ/PZ lenses are imprecise when zooming and not easy to hit the FL you want. Other than the power sucking, they serve a purpose......smaller and lighter.

16. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk New to FujiXspot

Apr 3, 2014
    Will be interesting to see it compared to the 16-50mm kit zoom. It doesn't look that much smaller, but that might mean that it's not as compromized optically as for instance the Sony 16-50mm pancake.

17. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Bear in mind that it's hard to judge from the limited images we have seen thus far. However the filter size is an encouraging 52mm so I think it will be significantly shorter and more squat than the 16-50

18. Bernie Gibson

Bernie Gibson FujiXspot Regular

Jan 18, 2016
    Australia
    Bernie Gibson
    ......a lot lighter than the Fuji 16=55mm 2.8......but a good walk about range......

• Like Like x 1
  19. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    B&H has it up for preorder. Look's like it is $299.95. The specs have it at 4.8 ounces 2.46 x 1.74 vs 6.88 ounces 2.46 x 2.57" of the 16-50. So it should be noticeably smaller than the 16-50.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. kaito

kaito FujiXspot Regular

May 12, 2014
    Wiltshire UK
    Dave