No buzz on the new X-M?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by CaptZoom, Jun 21, 2013.

1. CaptZoom

CaptZoom FujiXspot Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    From what I hear, the price is attractive, as is the sensor- the ergonomics, not so much. But the camera does seem to be positioned correctly by Fuji as a intro level camera.

2. Fiddlergene

Fiddlergene FujiXspot Regular

Feb 17, 2013
    Question is why would someone who uses a camera with an LCD screen that flips out and that has NO viewfinder want to have the functionality of interchangeable lenses?

I could definitely see getting this little puppy as an inexpensive backup to my XP1 though.

3. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'm kind of surprised this camera hasn't made a bigger splash on this site. It certainly seems like a nice piece. I can forgive the mode dial instead of a shutter-speed dial at this price. But, to me a modern Fuji X camera means a viewfinder of some type. It's one of the things that sets Fuji apart. I still kind of like the X-M1 but I don't know if it's worth giving up, say, an Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5. If Panasonic's GX2 has a built-in EVF as is rumored, it could make life a bit tough for the new Fuji.

4. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    If it comes bundled with the 16-50mm for around $600 and it's as good as the 18-55mm (just slower), Fuji will sell a boatload.

5. CaptZoom

CaptZoom FujiXspot Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    I'm big proponent of flip screens for still cameras (swivel screens for cameras geared towards video). The increased utility is most welcome.

Considering the camera has the X-Pro's sensor, I think it's safe to say the IQ is going to be nice. I like the trend started by Sony and now continued by Fuji of standardizing the sensor and differentiating the cameras by form factor/ergonomics. Fuji gains the savings that come with bulk manufacturing and the consumers can get the camera body that best suits their individual styles/needs.

6. demiro

demiro FujiXspot Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    PA-USA
    Dean
    Try that question on the NEX forum. Lots of happy users with that exact set up. Different strokes and all. It's nice not to assume everyone has the sames needs and preferences.

7. Tdp

Tdp Guest

I use my EM5 with the LCD horizontal for low street shots often.

8. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    No viewfinder... :(

Sent from another Galaxy

9. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    There are already a few 100 comments on FR about this camera (that were posted in about 24 hours), so the buzz is there. Of course, the more successful (in numbers) a camera is, the less buzz it creates, because the target audience of such smaller and more affordable models tend not to spend their time in forums, they usually simply buy the stuff, take photos and go on with their lives. On the other hand, Leica sells just about 150-200 system camera bodies (that's all digital M camera models combined) per month in Germany, but there are several Leica forums and sites with plenty of buzz.

10. taz98spin

taz98spin FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    New York, NY
    TAZ
    I'm actually more excited about Pentax Q7!

This new X-M, just like the X-E1, doesn't interest me..

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Is there some causal relationship between the method of viewing / framing the image and the number or types of lenses used? If so, I musta missed that one... For me, the only time a viewfinder is really necessary is for longer focal lengths when it sometimes helps to hold the camera steady by anchoring it against the face. But I shoot plenty of 75mm candid portrait shots (150 equivalent) with my OMD using the flip up screen and do fine with it.

I've pretty much bailed out of Fuji except for the wide end - I sold my X-Pro gear (the OVF doesn't work well wider than 18mm) but have a scratch and dent XE1 to use with the 14mm lens and to eventually use with the 10-24. For wide shooting, I don't need a finder and I LOVE a flip out screen for getting a low perspective with wide angle lenses, so I'll probably sell the XE1 and buy this XM once it shows up. If I was still shooting with the 18 or 35 or planning to get the 23, I'd have kept the X-Pro because, needed or not, I loved the OVF option in that camera. But with the lenses I seem to be reduced to with my Fuji gear, the XM might be the perfect body for me...

Although I wish it still had a threaded shutter button and its pretty small to use with larger lenses. The 14 isn't a SMALL lens and I expect the 10-24 to be pretty damn big...

-Ray

12. Peter Chin

Peter Chin FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    No buzz from me on this body, i'm holding all my BUZZ for the newer X PRO-1 (2) or at the very least the X PRO 1 software update on June 25th....okay maybe some more female images from Taz SPIN's but not of his fiancée :)

My "main like" for a VF *any kind* >>I REALLY HATE PEOPLE WATCHING OVER MY SHOULDER<< *lol*

13. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    i just want a flip screen for the xp1/xe1 successors. hard to compose for very low shots. i don't want to lay on the ground.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

14. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    If the July firmware update speeds up the X-E1's auto focus and shutter response time in a significant way, that may still be my next camera. I wanted to pull the trigger on an X-E1 with kit zoom during this last sale, but I just couldn't do it.

15. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I haven't seen any details about it, has it actually been announced? Link for more info?

16. romi.gilles

romi.gilles FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 17, 2013
    back in Crooklyn
    ^
    i saw the details of it on the fuji rumors site, yesterday.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

17. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Thanks, found some info finally: Hot! First images of the new Fuji X-M1!!! | Fuji Rumors

This looks interesting, though probably not something I'd buy into. I'd miss the shutter speed dial instead of mode dial (though not a deal breaker), and I enjoy a viewfinder too much to drop one for the size and price savings over the X-E1. But it's a neat looking camera and I like seeing that they're continuing to expand the lineup. I wish there was a head on image of the back too, I'm curious to see exactly what they did with the controls since it looks like it's different from the other models.

18. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Here's a hands-on preview on DPR: Fujifilm X-M1 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

As usual, Andy did a very good job describing the essence of the new camera. He also overlooked a few points (like the new and improved Auto-ISO implementation and a change in white-balance options), but all-in-all, it's pretty neat and highly recommended First Look.

I am going to test the camera and the lenses in the next few days for my own, more practical First Look on Friday. Stay tuned.

19. jloden

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Without wishing to bring up a spoiler on your upcoming column - does that mean they finally allow minimum shutter speed and/or exposure comp with Auto-ISO (Please)?? :biggrin:

20. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Just like in the X20 / X100S.