Recommendation: small P&S for travel

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
A good friend of mine is going on a trip to Turkey. I think she'll be gone for three weeks. She has a good eye but she is not into photography per se though she likes to take pictures. She needs a good, small camera. This will be her camera for many years to come. It is going to be her only camera. Her old one died a while ago and I believe it was a Canon.

Due to I believe it was Mayank's post in another thread, I've suggested this camera: Canon Powershot SX130IS.

I believe she can get used to the LCD and that it is big enough... She'll be doing a ton of sightseeing...lots of history, some time will be spent on a boat but most on land.

I'd love to hear suggestions and/or feedback that this choice is a good one. I think the fact that she can bring extra batteries is a plus. I'll also have to make sure she has several SD cards, I'd think.

Thanks in advance!

For a travel zoom I would say a Panasonic ZS7 or ZS3 (I realize both are DQ but they can be found pretty cheaply and they have better IQ than the latest models). BIG zoom, image stabilized, 25mm WA, quite good IQ (ZS3 a bit better than the ZS7) pocketable, 3" LCD and very good movie HD video for a small P&S. Since the ZS7 was very recently replaced by the ZS10 it should be available on closeout many places. I just got a second Panasonic refurbished ZS3 for $130. To emphasize how good this little camera is, I recently needed to sell of some camera gear and the ZS3 survived where the LX3 did not.

Thanks Kevin, we are talking out of the camera jpegs sent off to a camera store or drugstore level of developing here...so I need to be sure about color, etc. We are talking straight of the the camera stuff with absolutely nothing extra for development.

Back