One Gen X Behind - Experimenting with X10

Discussion in 'Fuji X10, X20, X30, XF1, and X-S1' started by Penfan2010, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Penfan2010

Penfan2010 FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    After reading lots of very helpful real world reviews on this forum, Serious Compacts, and elsewhere on the web, I decided to purchase a second hand X-10 instead of shelling out almost $300 more for the X-20. Thanks to many folks on this forum who provided great suggestions on settings in their posts on SC. I have found the optical finder bright, and am not really bothered by a lack of info (yet), though I am still getting used to getting only 85% coverage (but it's more of a bother on the longer end of the zoom). That said, it's always easy to shift to the LCD for times when I want better composition. I will test drive the OVF on my next street shooting foray.

A few early shots from today; color SOOC using Aperture priority but M resolution to capitalize on EXR sensor; BW shot as RAW and processed in camera (Macbook Pro died last weekend so no access to LR4 for now).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. pniev

pniev Guest

Congratulations with your X10. It is a great little camera but it needs a skilled photographer. I love your photos!

3. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    And congrats to you on your new X20! Thanks a lot, am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. FujiXspot Veteran

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I loved my X10. Sold it out of necessity, then when I was able to replace it opted for the X100. But I miss it. Whether I eventually get an X10 or an X20 is an open question and dependent of a number of things, but I hope to get one of them. I got some shots I'm rather pleased with from the X10.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Thanks, Larry, I noted you had a lot of good experiences with your X-10.

I hope you are having fun with the X100. As you know I owned one for a while, but after a while I felt limited by its fixed 23mm for many of my day trips and ended up carrying a second body along for wider/longer shots. I am hoping the X-10 can serve as a good standalone camera for short trips, many folks seem to think so.

6. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    You can count me among those who think so. I shot it up to 1600 (raw) with good results, so I don't really think it is limited to the lower iso range.

I love the shot of the rolled paper, but the way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pniev

pniev Guest

It definitely does unless you're going on a short safari or bird watching trip. I was pleasantly surprised by versatility. It took me a while to go smaller but I got tired of packing the Nikon gear. The OVF was a main reason for going for the X10 (besides the -to me- good looks). The sensor size comes with a price but fortunately the EXR features compensate for that (no, I won't start about skies again ;-) ). All in all, you won't be disappointed.

As said already.. Fantastic shots!

8. pniev

pniev Guest

I agree. I was amazed by results of ISO800 shots. But I guess it all depends on how much noise you find acceptable.

9. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    See my first attempts here
    First thing I have learned - do not use Velvia on a bright sunny day - shadow detail just gets blocked out completely!
    This macro turned out nice:
    8567754017_2c261e1e1a_c.
    DSCF1130 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr
    and this shot of the postbox up the road:
    8568596056_eef46f0a75_c.
    DSCF1053 by theoldsmithy, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  10. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Thanks,Pniev, I am looking forward to making it the true all-arounder I had hoped my X100 would be. Can't wait to see what else EXR can do; my trusty X-Pro can fill in for high res low light and wider angle shots.

11. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Martin, thanks for sharing your photos, and the Advice on Velvia. I tend to stick with the more neutral Provia/STD setting in general, though I may decide the high contrast, high saturation Velvia colors (or am I thinking of Astia) could come in handy in certain situations. I am impressed with the detail on the flowers in photo 1, BTW.

12. Lawrence A.

Jan 31, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Files can be quite noisy at 100% but still have virtually no discernable noise at 50% and smaller. I'll admit, though, that I almost never use luminance noise reduction -- except maybe at iso3200, finding that the chroma noise is really what is objectionable. For the rest: I'd rather have noise than lower the resolution of fine detail. I usually feel the same way about black and white film; there are developers that, while they produce negs with gorgeous tonal characteristics, have too strong a solvent action on the grain, and like noise reduction software, they reduce a certain amount of resolved detail. They have their place; it's just not usually in my darkroom.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy FujiXspot Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I have set sharpness set to +1 and noise reduction at -1, so that probably helps with the sharpness. That one was in SuperMacro mode.
    Velvia works fine under cloudy conditions, so I am told, but for outdoors shots I think I'll stick with Provia from now on and use Astia for portraits.
    I also tried a few shots in B&W with and without the filter options. I found the vanilla B&W a bit flat, but the green and red filters added a bit of depth to the photos.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Penfan2010

Feb 1, 2013
    Central-ish NJ
    Ed
    Thanks, Martin, have BW settings on my Custom 1 mode and a soft shadow and highlight Provia RAW on C2 to use with LR4. I do notice a lack of contrast on STD BW but nothing that can't be adjusted in post. I will try the settings you used on your flower photo for my macro shots.