Optical viewfinder blackout screen problems

Discussion in 'Fuji X100, X100S, and X100T' started by macjim, Jun 26, 2013.

1. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I've notice every so often when I go to take a portrait photograph, when I turn the camera and bring it up to my eye the black out screen which slides over when you use the EVF is half extended when I use the optical viewfinder. It's annoying but easily corrected by switching to EVF and then back, but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I haven't noticed this on my X100, however that doesn't mean someone else out here hasn't.

Let's see if you get some more replies today.

3. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It's never happened to me that I can recall... sounds like it's not operating properly and it's sticking or something.

4. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Agreed - I would exchange it or get it looked at while under warranty

5. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Thanks for that. I've emailed Fuji and am awaiting a reply hopefully soon. I'll let you know how I get on.

6. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Haven't had a reply from Fuji which is surprising, so I took it into my supplier and its being return for repair, although I've said I'd prefer it replaced rather than repaired. See what they say.

7. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Fuji finally replied but I'd already taken the camera in to the supplier and had the camera returned for repair. Fuji said if I sent them my address they'd send me a return box to have a repair made. Well, got a call from the camera shop yesterday and they said my X100s has returned from Fuji and is ready for me to collect. Don't know know what they have done but I'll find out next week when I go in to collect.

8. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Just got the camera back from Calumet, Glasgow. It was a repair rather than a replacement camera so here's hoping it is now in full working condition. No report supplied so I'm unsure what exactly has been done or what the verdict was regarding this fault but as long as its now working perfectly then ok. I've not yet had a chance to test it out though.

9. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Sounds good. Please let us know how everything goes, majim!

10. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Well, I haven't had an opportunity to use the X100s until today when I went to Edinburgh to do a bit of street photography during the festival. Sadly, the fault is still there and even worse than before so it's going back with a request for a replacement camera rather than a second repair. Keep you posted.

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

11. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    sorry to hear of your bad luck, but I'm sure Fuji will take care of you.

12. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    My X100 did this about 3 times in peru last September, so almost a year ago. I turned the camera upside down, turned the OVF on then the EVF again, and it came all the way up. I got spooked, posted on Seriouscompacts about it, everyone said "send it in while it's under warranty!"

And I should've I guess. But honestly I couldn't stand the thought of being without it. So i kept "waiting to see if it will do it again."

It never did. Has over 20k shots on it now.

(shrug)

I shouldn't be so damned lazy.

13. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Well, got an email from the camera shop. It wasn't the response I was expecting and the camera salesman said the same, my camera has been repair and not replaced. The only conciliation is this repair was taken in hand by the the head repairman and he has identified the fault so maybe it will be ok now. Still think a camera that cost £1,000+ should have been replaced though. Will see how it is when I get it back, and find time to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

14. monk3y

monk3y FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    I notice the retailers only exchange items in the first two weeks. After that the only option is repair. It might be different in other countries though.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using FujiXspot mobile app

15. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Yes, it seems that way here too but, if its still not right it'll get returned under the sale of goods act as unfit for purpose. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPad using FujiXspot mobile app

16. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Got the camera back from the camera shop and fuji, tested it: the saga continues and a return to the camera shop is in the offing. I'll explain more soon.

17. macjim

macjim FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I just got told that a new camera awaits me at my supplier, so I'm off into town tomorrow to get it. Great news.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    :thumbup: Great news!!

19. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's nice to know Fuji takes care of its people. But I shouldn't be suprised, I guess. Look at all those X10 sensors they replaced. Many X10 owners got new cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  20. monk3y

monk3y FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2013
    Japan
    Steven
    Woohoo that's great!! Awesome Fuji!:D

Sent from my GT-N7100 using FujiXspot mobile app