Overlapping FoVs on different formats

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drewbot, Feb 21, 2013.

1. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Seeing as many here are owners of multiple formats, how do you folks manage your lens arsenal across different formats?

Sometimes I feel really stupid owning the same field of view lenses across multiple formats...but there are some lenses that just stand out to me, such as the new Sigma 35 and the Fuji XF 35.

However, some formats are better for different field of views.

Typical dilemma: How to spread the wealth across FF, APS-C, and FT?

Current planned compromise:

Nikon FX (overall undecided, currently on long-term loan)
    - 70-200 f/4 (on the fence)
    - 24-85 f/3.5 -5.6 (on long-term loan)
    - Siggy 35 f/1.4 (planned)
    - 85 1.8 G (planned)

Fuji X-E1 (own)
    - 35 f/1.4 (own)
    - 56 f/1.4 (planned)
    - 23 f/1.4 (planned)

MFT (own)
    - Rok 7.5 (own)
    - Oly 17 f/1.8 (own)
    - PL 25 f/1.4 (own but may hit chopping block because of Fuji XF 35)
    - Oly 45 f/1.8 (own)
    - Panny 12-35 (on the fence)
    - Panny 35-100 (on the fence)

What is everyone else's spread look like??? Am I crazy to want a Siggy 35, Fuji 23, AND the Oly 17 simultaneously?

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    My spread is as follows:

Canon full frame - 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8
    m43 - 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, 20mm f1.7, 35mm f1.7, 40-150mm f4-f5.6
    Fuji X (planned) - 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.4
    Legacy glass with adapters for all systems - 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 135mm f2.8

I think it depends on what the Fuji 23mm ends up being like. I shoot a Samyang 35 f1.4 on my 5DII and while the Fuji 35mm f1.4 can't replace the FOV, pictures I see from it still give the 35mm look I love in terms of subject isolation and DOF fall off at the large apertures. I plan on the Fuji system replacing my Canon full frame gear, though I will still hold on to it for a little bit until I'm comfortable that it can. For me though, if the Fuji 23mm is as good as the Fuji 35mm I wouldn't feel the need for a Sigma/Samyang/Canon L 35mm on FF. The one I would forego however would be the Oly 17, but that's just me - it just doesn't seem to give me what I want out of a 35mm equiv, but that has more to do with the max aperture of the lens on the m43 sensor size than the quality of the lens itself. For m43, I'm happy with the 20mm f1.7, but if I find I'm able to frame the shots I want with the Fuji 35mm, that one may go as well even though there really isn't a focal length overlap there.

3. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    I have a lot of overlap across all my systems. I see and use the X-Pro much differently than the OM-D. I still shoot, on occasion, for publication. Generally, for those assignments, the quicker responding OM-D is a better choice than the slightly better/different IQ of the Fuji. So for me, the camera choice is all about final image usage rather than subject matter. For sports/action I'll use my FF dSLR's if it's for publication. If the sports/action isn't for publication, I'll use µ4/3. I am using the Fuji for subjects which requires more deliberation and anticipation than reaction. For subjects requiring more reaction I go µ4/3. So I pretty much have three full systems with five cameras and around 30 lenses. All three systems completely overlap because for me what is important is what am I shooting for ... as opposed to what I am shooting.

Gary

4. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Right now, I've got
    • Canon FF 28, 85 and 70-200
    • m43 14 (28), 17 (35), 25 (50), 100-300 (200-600) (I just got the 17, and am testing it vs. the 14 or 25, to see if they live together or one goes)
    • RX100 (I think it's a 24-100 equivalent)

I have the 85 for portraits and the 70-200 for portraits and action on the Canon. The 28 I got just for shallow DOF in wide angle shots. I also used it recently in an indoor group outing. I brought the 5D because of the ability to carry a good sized speedlight.

For m43, I use the wider angle with the flippy touch-screen of the EPL5 for inconspicuous or low-angle shooting. Also, of course, travel. I have the 100-300 because I love the lens for wildlife. (I also have the 15mm lens cap lens for grins and giggles)

RX100 is a pocket traveler

I'm considering the XE1, but I'd really like to see a portrait option, and I'm not sure I want to part with a tilt screen. Trying to determine if it has a home in my set-up.

5. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    You gotta try that 85/1.8 on your FX camera. I rented that lens and a D700 last fall. Very, very sweet.

What are your thoughts on the PL25 vs. the Fuji 35/1.4. Clearly, DOF can be shallower on the Fuji, but I am afraid I would miss the AF speed and also the pocketability of the PL25 on my EPL5 (be less of a difference if I had the OMD). Would love to hear your thoughts on the comparison of the two. Even PM me, to keep this thread On topic.

6. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    This is also a concern of mine.

My pipe dream of the Sigma 35 may be compromised is the Fuji XF 23 is just as good (if not better) than the 35.

7. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Thanks for the wise advice - unfortunately my bank account shall allow for a slow and steady overlap.

To your comment regarding the E-M5 vs X-Pro I totally agree. One could interpret that as allowing fast zooms to take precedence for MFT to allow for a sublime quick response system vs the deliberate nature of the X.

8. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    LOL ... not really advise, just a different outlook/handicap on life and photography. Shooting as a pro, my job/career rested on getting the defining/decisive moment, 'The Shot'. The only thing that mattered was the final image, editors didn't give a rat's how you got it, only that you did get it. I was given all the equipment I needed, so no excuses. I still feel and shoot that way, but now the equipments on moi's nickel. I get pro level equipment, realizing that if I miss The Shot, I only have myself to blame. ( ... and I like having pro level equipment.) As I don't re-sell my equipment, it is easier to acquire 'full' systems. With only one kid left in college, I tell myself I can spurge a bit. Unfortunately, this spurging/acquisition methodology have extended my retirement date by a decade or two. (I just acquired the X-Pro a week ago and I'm already adding lenses.)

Gary

9. drewbot

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    I currently have a D700 on loan (beast of a camera) and have used the 85 1.4 variation of the Nikkor-G. Definitely sweet.

Regarding the PL25 vs Fuji XF 35 - I think it's valid to share it in this thread since they have overlapping FoV's.

To give a bit of history, I first purchased the PL25 over a year ago after sleepless nights comparing it to the P20.
    Fast forward many months, then I purchased the X-E1 + 35.

I just sat down and thought a lot about your question, and in short they are both great lenses. I think the Fuji mojo, whether it be the X-Trans sensor or Fujinon optics give a different vibe overall. I usually scoff at people when they say lenses have a character, but I actually cannot find a good way to describe it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hyubie

Hyubie FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Weymouth, MA
    For m43 I have: 20, 45, 9-18
    Manual lens: FD 35, 50, Rokinon 85
    X-E1: kit lens + 35mm

The X-E1, although I am not planning to add anything more to it in the near-future, I think will be my "default" camera because of the very nice output it pumps out. It has its limitations, and anytime I hit that wall - for example wide-angle shots - the Oly 9-18 will cover it beautifully. If I get the shakes :)D), that Ibis should cover nicely. You get the drift ...

11. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't worry too much about overlap as long as things aren't getting too expensive, but I wouldn't maintain more than one "full kit" of lenses (currently Micro 4/3). When I consider other camera systems I look more more at what are the seminal lenses that best represent that system. For instance, the Samsung pancakes, the Ricoh 28 and 50 APS-C modules. I like the look of the 35 and the 18-55 best in the Fuji system so far.

My favourite focal lengths (or angle of views) are my favourite focal lengths regardless of the camera. Same angle of view, different camera, different sensor, different lens, different experience.

12. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Although I will say that seeing the price of the 14mm set at $899, I fully expect the 23mm to be least at that price though likely more. I'm willing to pay whatever they ask within reason because I only intend on purchasing 3 lenses for this system (and I consider the 35mm f1.4 a steal at $299).

13. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Just to make sure I'm following accurately - do you mean you prefer 35mm on a full frame and 35mm (70mm equivalent FOV) on m43 for example or do you mean 35mm on full frame, 17 (34mm eqivalent FOV) on m43?

If its the latter I think I may be right there will you as I would say that my favourite lenses would the the 35mm f1.4 on the 5DII, the 35mm f1.7 on my E-PL1 and the 35mm f1.4 on the X-Pro 1/X-E1 (solely from images I've seen since I don't have one yet).

14. Nic

Nic FujiXspot Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Same angle of view or same equivalent focal length.