Peaking or split prism?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by Armanius, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I've been playing with focus peaking in the XE1 and X100 since their firmware upgrades. I find that the shimmering is not sufficiently pronounced even when set on "high."

For the owners of the X100S and XE2, do you find the split prism a better or worse way to manually focus vs. peaking?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FujiXspot mobile app

2. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't use the split-image focus only because it's center of the frame only (where the phase detect sensors are), whereas peaking is across the whole frame. If you're ok with using the split-image focus in the center and recomposing, it works ok I guess.

Personally I don't find it as rapid or intuitive as looking for peaking colors, but if you've used a lot of split-prism focusing in the past and are already used to it, it may be a lot easier for you.

3. Rich M

Rich M FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Hawaii
    Richard
    Armando……I use the focus peaking instead of the split prism for the same reason as Jay……but will STILL go into enlarged view on critical focus just to be sure.

4. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    When taking portraits, the shimmer rarely appears around the subject's eyes on my XE1, even set on "high." Is that your experience as well?

Also, is there a way to change the enlargement area? I tried moving the focus point before engaging the enlarged view, and it would not work for me.

Are there different colors for peaking in the XE2 or X100S? There's only white on the XE1 (and X100).

Thank you.

5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I noticed my X-E1 the other day had reset a setting or otherwise bugged out and it wasn't actually enabling peaking properly. There's a slight shimmer without peaking so it took me a minute or two to realize it wasn't actually on. You might try enabling/disabling the setting and just make sure it's kicked in.

That being said, even when it's working the peaking isn't super strong and especially not very visible since it's white and disappears into the highlights of a scene - so it's possible you won't see it sometimes. Generally if there's not a lot of white or highlight area I can still see the peaking, it just isn't as obvious as if it were red or blue or whatever.

You can move the focus point in manual focus mode, and it will zoom on that area when you engage magnification (just confirmed on my X-E1).

• Like Like x 1