Polarizing filter with the X-E1: Tips?

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by carlb, Feb 27, 2013.

1. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    I'll often shoot with a polarizing filter, which can help get deep skies, while reducing glare and haze. Marumi makes some great performing cost effective polarizers that I highly recommend.

Coupled with the X-E1, they perform nicely:

8480096699_049e9aae2e.
    moon through by cbmn, on Flickr

8459157378_e2d702bb65_z.
    trestle and river by cbmn, on Flickr

There's a few issues, though.

1) On the X-E1, while rotating the filter to look for varying polarizing effect the EVF tends to compensate for the light-level change. The only thing I've found helps is to look for contrast of clouds deepening or such to tell when polarization is at a maximum, and that's not always easy to judge.

Does anyone have exposure setup or such they use to reduce the automatic level compensation in the EVF?

2) The X-E1 colors do shift to the blue-side when using a polarizer. I currently compensate in post for that.

Does anyone follow a set of steps to have the camera compensate the white balance? If you wouldn't mind sharing, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks much.

- Carl

2. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    In addition to looking at the clouds, you can look at the nature of the reflections on water, glass, foliage, etc. I find it odd that the colors are shifting, especially since you're using a good quality polarizer. Are you shooting in Auto WB? If so, maybe shooting at a consistent color temperature setting will help?

I've yet to try a polarizer on my X-E1, but as I use them a lot in my photography I hope the camera doesn't hamper that.

3. cherrywood

cherrywood FujiXspot Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Ohio
    Carl, a note,
    probably to late, because you have already bought the std polarizer, but they make a warming polarizer that warms up the color from the blueish tint that most polarizers give, especially in the mountains.

Moose Peterson, sells them as well as others, a bit more expensive though.

Dennis.

4. Tdp

Tdp Guest

I have found that my B&W polarizer on the X-E1 throws off the AWB as well. The good news is it stays consistent throughout my series of shots so I can fix the WB in one photo and sync the rest to match.