Post Count Requirements

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    As part of the ongoing battle against spammers, the following post count requirements are in place, effective immediately:

Sending PM/e-mail/commenting on album photos - 1 or more forum posts required

Posting visitor messages on profile or starting albums - 10 or more forum posts required

---------------

Having nothing to do with spammers, we also have 100 forum post count minimum for use of avatars (the little pictures next to usernames in the forum posts).

---------------

Please note that Buy and Sell posts do not count towards post counts.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Thanks Amin!

Is there a forum post count requirement prior to being able to create one's own thread? Is that what you referred to as "starting albums"?

It would seem to me that the bulk of the spamming come in the form of new threads.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    No, Armando - albums are where normal human beings can add photographs, but the spambots/walking dead spammers like to create albums full of detritus that have links and ads for Rx, clothing and much more "stuff". You must have missed Luke's post/thread about this. Here is the link: https://www.fujixspot.com/showthread.php?t=1825

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    In that case, we should probably also have a post requirement before anyone is allowed to start a new thread. In my humble opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Well those little threads are easy enough to zap when they pop up, but maybe that would stop (or slow down) the bots.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Luke

Luke FujiXspot Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the new post requirement has done nothing to stop it. We just had a random post.....and the "user" immediately started creating an album. I don't know what will kill them. I'm gonna grab a baseball bat with a rusty nail sticking out of it......that usually does the trick.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    I rather like this idea. Like a few posts (maybe 5) before you can start your own threads??

8. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    I like that idea!!

9. donlaw

donlaw FujiXspot Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Texas
    Thanks for working to keep those spammers out. It is so annoying. I had my gmail account hacked a couple of weeks ago. Seems like people would have better thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    If you don't have gmail's 2 step authentication activated, then you must do so immediately, this is critical my friend.

And yes, I also agree to a minimum post count required before being allowed to start a thread. My 2 cents.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    Thanks for this suggestion, Dana. I was not familiar with it, however am reading about it right now.

12. dduval

dduval FujiXspot Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    Your welcome! Yea, it's great...even if a hacker gets your gmail password, they still can't get in. Unless they have your cell phone in their hands...no way for them to get into your gmail account...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Armanius

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Spammers are back today. Selling UGGs boots!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Zapped... Someone always gets it on the dawn patrol, as Biggles once said... :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 2
  15. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    What do they hope to achieve? Does someone on a forum like this actually buy UGGs from a random link?
    Are they anarchists, and they just hope the mods give up one day?
    Do they load trojans or viruses from their sites?

This can't possibly of any economic value, and not only wastes the mods time, but the spammers as well.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I disabled the limit for a few minutes yesterday when I thought it may have been causing the other error bug. This one may have gotten through at that time. Let's see if it happens again.

I'm going to spend some time this week trying to shore up the spam defenses on this site. The settings here are the same as on the other sites, but we have a bigger spam problem here. I wonder if the spam we're getting now is from bots that registered back when email confirmation wasn't required.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The spam is posted by a bot, which is just software running on presumably hijacked/infected computers. It takes very little effort to spam the heck out of thousands of forums. I assume that someone somewhere gives their credit card info to buy some cheap UGGs, and then the spammers use that info to buy other stuff, steal your identity, sell your identity, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I've gotten the feeling that "they" come on register and then wait...come back and do their thing. So this may well be true about the time when email confirmation wasn't required though yesterday there were quite a few "newbies".

Once more into the breach, and I have faith you'll rout them!

19. WT21

WT21 FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Ah, that makes much more sense. Also explains why the posts are so non-nonsensical.

Does that mean an SC user's computer is infected? (I don't mean that SC infected our computer, but that one of our computers got a spambot and it's hitting sites we might frequent). Sorry, I don't really know how these guys work, though I'm willing to bet you WISH you didn't have to know!

20. BBW

Feb 8, 2013
    NW corner of CT
    BB
    I don't think anything bad has happened to anyone's computer. I've been hunting these "guys" for weeks...and I'm still here uninfected.:drinks: