Question for those of you that use focus peaking

Discussion in 'Fuji X-Mount Cameras' started by ean10775, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ean10775

ean10775 FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    As I may have mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm looking for a camera to use pretty much exclusively with legacy manual focus lenses as my primary camera is still a 5DII (not ready to go full mirrorless just yet) My requirements for this camera are an EVF that shows live exposure preview and focus peaking. My experience with the X100S's implementation of peaking is that it worked pretty well, but I haven't had the opportunity to try its implementation on other bodies. I did however try an Olympus E-M1 at my local shop and was surprised that while the EVF is huge and bright and smooth when panning, once you enable focus peaking it becomes laggy and no better than the EVF on the X-E1 (from what I recall during my short time with it).

My question for those that use focus peaking on the Fuji cameras - does the EVF experience more lag when using focus peaking then when not using it? From what I recall with the X100S it didn't add extra lag, but I understand the implementation may be different on cameras like the X-E1 and X-Pro 1.

2. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    I have not experienced any noticable lag on my x-pro1. In fact, it works smoothly.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    No lag at all, and remember the X-E2 has the "digital split image" facility which should make life easier.

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 1
  4. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    Perhaps one thing to be aware of: I've read a few times to avoid using the big(her) tele lenses unless the lens can be mounted on a tripod. Magnification does not work well w/o tripod for big tells.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I've never noticed any lag using focus peaking, unlike my experience using the "faux-us" peaking effect on the OM-D EM-5.

I've got an X-E1 and X100S and I've mostly used it on the X-E1 with the 14mm and 18-55 for landscapes. In my experience it was quite smooth in operation and effective other than the obvious, which is that white is not always the easiest color to see!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Thanks guys. I must say that I was shocked in the degradation of the EVF display on the E-M1 when the focus peaking was activated. The peaking itself was easy to see (despite being white), but the EVF had so much lag when panning it was far from a pleasurable user experience when compared to how smooth it is without peaking activated.

7. Bob Brandoff

Bob Brandoff FujiXspot Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    I was having a bit of a problem seeing the focus peaking "shimmer" with the X-Pro1- but the eye's were the problem.

Installed the +2 (reading glasses) diopter and all is well. Sony's FP works much better IMHO.

8. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Agreed. Sony's implementation is certainly the gold standard right now in mirrorless cameras, but I will say that the colored versions, while great for focus are more distracting when it comes to composition or capturing the 'definitive' moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Bob Brandoff

Bob Brandoff FujiXspot Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    I just wish the shimmering effect was a little more pronounced.. but it's workable.

10. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    I didn't find that I used the digital split image much on the X100S when I had it. It worked well, but wasn't as quick to use in practice as peaking was. That said, the X-E2 is a little out of my price range for what I'm going to consider a 'novelty' camera. If I were going to go full Fuji as a system then certainly an X-E2 would make more sense.

11. AlbertInFrance

AlbertInFrance FujiXspot Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Morbihan, France
    Hmmmmm.

I routinely shoot my 70-300mm zoom at the long end on my X-E1, hand held and using mag view for focusing. And I'm 65 years old with multi-focal specs.

Shot hand held using 300mm from another moving boat.

View attachment 18348

12. ean10775

Feb 13, 2013
    Cleveland, OH
    Eric
    Yeah, I don't think that its some kind of technical limitation with magnification and tele lenses, just that since the viewfinder isn't stabilized the image can jump around quite a bit unless you can hold things still. I didn't have much of a problem shooting a 135mm lens on my E-PL1 (which ends up a 270mm equivalent FOV) provided I was using an EVF and bracing the camera. I can see how a longer heavier lens could prove more of a challenge though. Regardless, the primary lenses I'm going to want to adapt are going to be less than 135mm. I do own a Canon 200mm f2.8 that I might toy around with, but I figure its heft would be a bit unwieldy on a rangefinder styled body anyway. If I'm going to go that big I may as well pull out the DSLR and have the benefit of AF.

13. pniev

pniev FujiXspot Veteran

May 13, 2013
    I did not have much problems with a 200mm either. But anyway, I read several times that a 300mm is different. Good to hear that you don't have problems with it.
    Thanks.