Quick Test: Lightroom 4.4RC and 4.3 X-Trans Demosaicing Comparison

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Lightroom 4.4RC is supposed to do a better job at demosaicing X-Trans RAW files. Prior versions of ACR/LR would, under certain circumstances, impart a "watercolor" or "orange peel" effect.

I recently published a comparison of Lightroom 4.3 and Capture One 7.0.2 at SeriousCompacts.com and will use the same RAW file kindly shared by our member Tdp for this comparison. You can download the RAW file and in-camera JPEG for evaluation from these links: RAW | JPEG.

Here is the resized, full image:

8509125946_3227a4abab_z.

Sharpening 100% crops tends to accentuate the unpleasant rendering/artifacts in Lightroom conversions of X-Trans files. For the following 100% crop comparisons, I've increased the sharpening amount setting to "75" in both versions of Lightroom, leaving all other settings at their default values.

Crop #1:

S1.

Crop #2:

S2.

Crop #3:

S3.

Massive improvement, in my opinion, at least from the standpoint of someone pixel peeping from 10 inches away at 100% view on screen.

For kicks, I processed both to taste (the LR 4.4RC file needs a bit of a clarity boost to match the local contrast of the LR 4.3 file) and printed a 4x6" from a 16.7% crop of the image to get a sense of what I might expect from a comparison of 24x36" prints. Both prints look great, and I can't pick a winner between them.

Let's face it though - some of us want the files to look great viewed from 10 inches away at 100% view on screen, and now we've got it.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Pelao

Pelao FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    GTA, Ontario
    Stephen, or Steve, or 'hey you"
    LOL.

Thanks for running the comparison.

3. Ifocus

Ifocus New to FujiXspot

Feb 3, 2013
    Improvement indeed

I did some quick test and I agree, a massive improvement but ... wait how do I get back this watercolour effect ;)

Thanks Adobe, this is great for the X-Shooters.

4. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    You sure the crop aren't backwards....the 1st 100% crops from left (LR4.3 labeled) are better uniformly

5. Biro

Biro Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is great. I hope Aperture/iPhoto follows the same path shortly. But I'll go with Adobe if I have to.

6. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Thanks for the testing Amin!

My eyesight must be going downhill quick. I can't see the difference even in my 27" iMac screen. On the other hand, I didn't think there was that much a problem to begin with.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Jan 31, 2013
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm sure. The crops on the left look sharper, but it's a combination of false detail and increased local contrast, and there is an unnatural rendering to the detail. The crops on the right look more natural to me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tdp

Tdp Guest

Thanks for the testing legwork.

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    I suppose if I was looking at these full size, I might be able to see something. But at this scale, even on my 27" monitor, I don't see any difference at all. Oh well, probably keep shooting jpeg anyway - I like the Fuji jpegs so much...

-Ray

10. drewbot

drewbot FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    Toronto
    Thanks for this. Capture One Pro was way too beastly for my MacBook and initial testing shows everything for the most part is gone.

Now I just need someone to profile Pro Neg High and I'm set....

11. Steve B.

Steve B. FujiXspot Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    :rofl: THANKS!!!!!!

I guess I will download this sometime today and try it out this weekend.

12. Pelao

Pelao FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    GTA, Ontario
  13. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    My thoughts about the X's.

14. Pelao

Pelao FujiXspot Regular

Feb 1, 2013
    GTA, Ontario
    The jpegs are nice, I agree.

I need RAW when I am seeking a particular look, and when I know I have something I will want to print large. I also don't much like the look of jpegs that are then processed 'to taste'. Unless changes are very small / subtle to jpeg files, I feel they come out looking over-processed, digital, and plastic. Fake if you like, often even goofy.

Jpeg from Fuji works for me for casual shots, and on occasion for my careful work. They really are good. But like all jpegs they don't leave much room for adjustment without looking like a lot of the worked-on faces at the Oscars...

Of course, this is subjective.

15. zapatista

zapatista FujiXspot Regular

Feb 6, 2013
    Denver
    Mike
    Thanks for the work, maybe I should start using something besides a 2 year old laptop for all my PP.