Raw converter that finally does the X sensor justice?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by carlb, Jul 10, 2013.

1. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    This converter has many saying it's the best available for the X cameras, standing way ahead of Adobe, et. al.

Iridient Digital - Iridient Developer

I've long suspected available converters weren't getting the best out of the X sensors for detail. Only for Mac, however. Seems to be a trend. Do I have to get a Mac if I want the best out of the X-E1? (Probably a rhetorical question, just frustrating.)

2. Marco Debiasi

Marco Debiasi New to FujiXspot

Jun 4, 2013
    Carl, I share the exact same frustration. After viewing samples of processing by Irident vs. anything else, I am convinced it is the best RAW converter currently available for X-Trans sensors. However it is only available for Mac since it uses some of the Mac image processing in the conversion of the RAW files. So, apparently there is really no other option to use Irident other than buying a Mac. Which is not an option for me if I want to maintain compatibility with the software I use in my work which is mostly developed for Windows-based PCs. A part the cost (with the same money I would rather buy the XF 14mm), a Mac would just sit in my home as a dedicated, standalone laptop for Irident to convert the RAF files!

3. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Frustrating, Marco, for sure. But I am also frustrated enough at Microsoft to make the switch at home.

For me a couple of options come to mind:

- Run the Mac version of Office (purchased at the "home" or "student" pricing). My other apps already come with Mac versions on the disk.
    - Get Fusion or Parallels to run a Windows instance on the Mac.

With the switch comes the option to get a Retina display - that's probably sweetening the "pros" column enough for me to just go get a Macbook.

4. Gary

Gary FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    SoCal
    Gary
    Hey, I use Macs ... I'll check it out.

Gary

5. jloden

jloden FujiXspot Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    It'd have to be pretty significant for me to move away from Lightroom personally, but I'm willing to try a free demo at least.

6. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    I'll start a new thread for those who have findings with it ...

7. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I'll wait for the windows version *sulks* ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

8. carlb

carlb FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 6, 2013
    twin cities, minnesota
    Carl
    Hi Bill,

The developer of Iridient wrote me back regarding a PC version. Unfortunately no such plans, he does Mac development exclusively.

Depending on what folks are finding, perhaps a used Macbook is in your future ... Well, if you haven't sunk a lot into a PC lately, that is. :(

(I did just that, and aside from some getting used to touchpad "gestures" and a cyclops click surface, so far so good.)

9. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I don't Mac in any way; not even so much as an iPod.. ;) That's a huge shame - he is missing out on 90% of his addressable market.

Sent from another Galaxy

10. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    This guest pass link leads to a comparison of 4 popular, state-of-the-art RAW converters (latest versions): http://flickr.com/gp/25805910@N05/sqg7Q6

Over there, you will also find a link to download the RAW file and create your own comparisons.

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  12. RFPhotog

RFPhotog FujiXspot Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Oshawa, ON Canada
    Robert Fisher
    I'm aware of the problems some people have reported in RAW conversion of the X-Trans images, including the chroma smearing, but I have to say I've not personally experienced any problems using LR/ACR. Colours and details are both very good in my case. Guess I'm lucky.

13. kevistopheles

kevistopheles FujiXspot Veteran

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    Probably not, speaking as designer and former developer it really depends on what market you are looking at. In the creative market the Mac is significantly larger than the total numbers of Windows to Mac numbers suggest.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 2, 2013
    Texas
    So I'll ask the dumb question....
    Why don't folks like SilkyPix?

15. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Problem is, Kevin, that market is both finite and shrinking. I know that designers have used Macs for years, but their dominance of that market is a thing of the past - watched an Iron Man movie lately? See that Oracle/Sun product placement?

Fact is, if anyone these days sets out to supply any App or software in a form that is not multi-platform they are shooting themselves in the foot.

16. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Cludgy, counter-intuitive UI in my case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    It's not quite that cut and dried. Movie product placement is simply a matter of that company buying a spot in the movie. It's nothing more complicated than a commercial (I still have friends that work in the movie industry). It is not an indicator of anything more significant than that.

As for developing multi-platform, that is largely dictated by market opportunity. Look at the mobile market. Despite Android being larger in terms of numbers of units in circulation, the iOS market is a lot more lucrative because it generates a much larger volume of cash in app sales. Google play had 75% more downloads last year than Apple's App Store but generated around $5 billion in sales compared to Apple's $10 billion. If you look at the numbers mobile developers are seeing 5x more median monthly revenue with iOS apps over Android apps and an almost 20x increase over Windows phone phone. Apple's small market share is very misleading,

As for Iridient, it's my understanding that their product is dependent on some Apple core technologies in OSX so it's not a huge surprise that they are Mac only.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Actually, that's why I picked Iron Man - it's slightly more than "product placement" - I'm ex-Oracle ;)

19. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
  20. kevistopheles

Oct 18, 2014
    Bellingham, WA
    Kevin
    These past few posts reminded me that a very good option for Fuji RAW is Photo Ninja. It's certainly on par with Iridient and Capture One, it's cross platform (that's for you Bill) and if you're a student, faculty or staff of an educational institution you can get 50% off the price. Additionally, Photo Ninja has Noise Ninja built into it (one of the better anti-noise apps out there).

• Like Like x 1