RAW CONVERTER ? XT1 FILES.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by NITE, Feb 8, 2017.

1. NITE

NITE New to FujiXspot

Feb 8, 2017
    Hello folks, for a XT1 for long exposure raw conversion with ND Filters or bulb exposures I 'd like to ask the most liked raw converter for the XT1 files please.
    (Severely burnt from Canon files and just come upon the Fuji excellent files.)
    Would adobe photoshop be highly suited to the files??
    I have APPLE MAC computer.....
    Thanks in advance...............

2. Covey22

Covey22 FujiXspot Veteran

May 21, 2015
    Iridient Developer is a full fledged suite and raw converter for Mac. It's gotten pretty good reviews, but I'm on PC, so I can only speak to his recent port of the converter. Nonetheless, I like the results.

3. BobbyT

BobbyT Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    There are several. Capture One, Light Room, Photoshop, OnOne Raw, Iredient Developer, and Silky Pix. The best thing to do is download the free trials from all of them. See which one gets the best results, as well as the one you like to work in the most. I constantly go back and forth between Capture One and the LR/PS package. Using both with the Nik plugin suite.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TonyTurley

TonyTurley FujiXspot Top Veteran

May 2, 2016
    Tony
    I use RawTherapee, with GIMP and the Nik Collection for further processing if so desired. RT works fine with Fuji Raw files. There are versions for Linux and Windows, but don't know about Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  5. plaatje

plaatje FujiXspot Regular

Mar 11, 2016
    Jos
  6. unstable_rider

unstable_rider FujiXspot Regular

Apr 2, 2017
    USA Minnesota
    Paul
    It's my understanding that you may need to have the Cloud version of Photoshop to crack Fuji raws. I know my CS5 on a PC will NOT crack them directly.

I love Lightroom, but for the life of me I can't figure out what they were thinking with the whole "workflow" experience. Much of it is like banging two rocks together, and you will enjoy it because it feels so good when the pain stops... :dash2:

Adobe offers superb software overall, but why they can't put out any two software packages that even remotely have something in common with the feel and function of one other of their programs, I will never know.

Still, I am joined at the hip to them and use them daily. :blush:

7. Piano

Piano FujiXspot Regular

Nov 28, 2016
    Nigel
    I find Lightroom to be excellent for my purpose with the XT-2 and also my old X20

• Like Like x 1
  8. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Lightroom has gotten better with Fuji files, but still leaves out much. And LR is still painfully slow.

9. Mike G

Mike G FujiXspot Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    I don't find Lr CC slow at all on my iMac!

10. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    LR being slow is a major known issue regardless of the camera/file type. Mike, you are the only person I've ever heard say LR doesn't run slow. I can be finished culling images and already editing in C1 before LR is finished rendering previews.

11. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    It must be the number of images you are importing, because the most I've imported is 150ish, it's not instant but it didn't appear to take a long time! I don't batch edit anything and Lr is quite quick when I'm actually editing an image, this is only my impression of course. I'm unable to quantify what I'm saying but that is my impression!

12. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Unfortunately it is like that when I import 25-50 images from a portrait shoot, or shots of the kids. Everyone I know who uses LR complains about how slow it is. You really are the first person I've heard say LR is fast enough.

13. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Bobby, I hear what you say, do you use a Mac or a PC, maybe that makes a difference I don't know!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's like lightning, but I've heard that some people saying that it is glacially slow, but I truly don't see that!

The only other editors I have experience of are Aperture 3 and Photo Ninja, and my Lr CC is certainly faster than those two! But of course nothing is ever fast enough is it?

I'm not rich enough to try everything out there.

14. Piano

Piano FujiXspot Regular

Nov 28, 2016
    Nigel
    I also don't find LR slow. On the other hand, I've used it for that long I don 't have anything to make a comparison with - other than the fact that I tried Capture 1 once and also Iridient Developer and found them both to be unwieldy.

15. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    Mike, I edit on a MacBook Pro with a SSD that is pretty quick. It sounds like the people who have used LR a long time are used to it. I'm thinking when I shot Canon and only used LR I probably didn't think it was slow. I switched to C1 when I switched to Fuji and now I'm used to that. Which could be the case for those who I hear complain about the speed.

16. Mike G

Oct 7, 2016
    London
    Mike Gorman
    Bobby, I have just done a couple to tests, to open Lr = 8 seconds, select an image from the filmstrip = virtually instantaneous, load an RAF file from finder 4 seconds which includes Lr boot time.

I haven't got a batch of files to load into Lr so I am unable to try that. Next time I have a batch I will attempt to remember and time that!

I'm not sure of what you mean when you say it's slow, would you mind being a bit more explicit? Thanks in advance.

17. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    It's slower to load, and a lot slower to render previews.

18. Piano

Piano FujiXspot Regular

Nov 28, 2016
    Nigel
    When you're loading up a batch of images from a card, yes, I agree, the rendering is painful. Using it though I find really easy. I wanted to like C1 but didn't get on with it for some reason. Perhaps I'd been using Adobe stuff for too long and I'm conditioned...

19. BobbyT

Dec 31, 2013
    Louisville, Ky
    Bobby Tingle
    I transfer from the card to the drive before importing into LR. It's still slower for me.

20. Lumens

Lumens FujiXspot Rookie

May 21, 2015
    I have found the hard drive makes a major difference. My system with the HHD drive can take hours to load, while the system with the SSD drive is almost instantaneous.