Ready for an X-Pro2...?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Series News and Rumors' started by Lightmancer, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Ronin-13 Subscribing Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix
    I'm hazarding a guess that Fuji will probably re-arrange the button lay out a bit as well (not that there is anything wrong with the current set up, I don't have any problems with it) they may include a button / dial for metering, perhaps the ISO (though I find the Q button is more than adequate, some users may have a different opinion).

3. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I think the 24MP APSC sensor is a lock.

I think a continued hybrid viewfinder with the EVF being at least as good as the XT's is a lock

I desperately want you to be right about fuji flashes... I'm pondering that fat little square one that Fuji actually makes themselves, out of desperation.

4. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Me too.

What about the Nissin - I'm hearing good things?

5. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    Haven't seen it. There's a style of shot - really two or three styles - that I want to be able to do, and they require off-cam flash. But I really resist spending a bunch of dough, or carrying around a bigger bag. So I just keep waiting and waiting for a 2-speedlight remote rig to land in my stocking by magic.

6. mpeterson

mpeterson FujiXspot Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    US Midwest
    Mark Peterson
    Nice article. And considering how long ago Fuji acknowledged that it needed to strengthen its flash line, it seems a rollout of more capable flashes to accompany the X-Pro2 intro, would be very fitting.

7. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    What about a small (control) flash for their (ex-)flagship - the X-Pro1? Fuggedaboutit. What about a wireless (RF) TX-RX system for someone who already owns a number of generic flashes? I searched hi & lo for a solution before I found something that works with my XP1.

8. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Cactus offers a wireless control system for generic flashes.

9. Ty S.

Ty S. FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Western NC
    Rico do you have a link for Cactus -- that's not a name I'm familiar with.

Thanks!

10. SnapDawg

SnapDawg FujiXspot Veteran

Dec 30, 2013
    behind an [X°]
    Ken
    Thanks Rico, I should have asked this 15 months ago ;)

11. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
  12. Ty S.

Ty S. FujiXspot Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Western NC
    Thank you, Rico!

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    My overwhelming largest question about an X-Pro 2 is what they're gonna do with the OVF to make it work with a wider range of focal lengths. The original was really optimized for two lenses, the 18mm and 35mm, and everything else is a compromise in terms of framelines that are either small to very small within the overall frame, or too large to even handle the focal length (the 14 FOV is wider than the whole OVF, let alone anything wider in the 10-24. The 56 and 60mm primes have very small framelines even with the 35mm level of magnification, let alone anything longer in the various zooms. There are two levels of magnification that match the 18 and 35, but the extra glass makes the view somewhat less bright than the direct pass-through OVF of the X100 family.

The Fuji lens lineup has obviously expanded enormously since the X-Pro hit the streets three years ago and the X-Pro 1 OVF works with relatively few of them and really works WELL with just a very small few. So I'm really wondering if the X-Pro 2 is going to even have an OVF, whether any OVF will use a totally new technology to expand the range of focal lengths it will work well with, or whether they'll just use something pretty similar to the first with limited functionality (but maybe using three levels of magnification to expand the number of prime focal lengths it will work well with...

To me, everything else is just evolutionary change within the APS mirrorless space and subject to competition from Sony and Samsung, etc. But the OVF was what defined Fuji for me when the X-Pro was released (making it the second model after the X100, so EVERYTHING had an OVF) and it's the one feature that could likely pull me back in Fuji's direction someday. But I'm dubious about how much they'll be able (or willing) to do with it. I don't have the impression that the X-Pro sold anywhere nearly as well as the EVF-only bodies, so it makes me really wonder about the fate of the OVF going forward...

-Ray

14. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep, that's an interesting and important point. After all, the hybrid viewfinder is what makes the X-Pro1 different. Luckily, there is a solution for the problem. Sadly, I can't elaborate.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lightmancer

Feb 2, 2013
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Well, coming as I do from Leica M, I know full well that it is possible to produce an OVF that is usable from 28 to 135mm. It's not unreasonable to expect that Fuji will focus (pun intended) upon being able to cater for the prime focal lengths where the vast majority of us shoot most of the time - I'd suggest that would be no greater than 18-35mm. I'd like to see the X-Pro2 actually handle up to 90mm which would then encompass the 18, 23, 27, 35, 56 60 and 90mm lenses. (28-135 in old money). All that said, if the OVF was simply optimised for 27, 35 and 56mm focal lengths, forcing use of an X-T1 quality EVF for the rest I would still be a happy camper.

16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs FujiXspot Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Near Philadephila
    Well, that's good news. I look forward to the announcement, whenever that comes, to see what they do with it. And then the word on the street after it's out there for a month or two.

All of those cheap little zooming OVFs in various compact zooms (including the X10 - I never shot with the X20 to know how that one worked) make me wonder if something similar could be done at a MUCH higher level.

Barring some sort of zooming OVF, it would have to be something like that. I'd think they'd want to optimize the wide end somewhere around 16mm (which would probably deal with the 14, new 16, and 18mm pretty well), then maybe something around 27 (which should hopefully deal with the 23, 27, and 35 well enough), something around 56-60 to deal with those two lenses, and then maybe something at a long end (perhaps around 90mm to deal with the new 90mm f2.0 portrait lens???).

We're all just guessing (other than Rico, and if he told us, he'd have to kill us!) and projecting our preferences. It'll be interesting to see what they do once they do it... I'm not likely coming back to APS anytime soon anyway, but a good OVF solution would certainly pique my interest...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  17. Armanius

Armanius FujiXspot Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Texas
    Muttley
    Must you always be such a tease? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. KillRamsey

Feb 15, 2013