Renaming image files

Discussion in 'Coffee with Rico Pfirstinger, Fuji X-Pert' started by Peter Fauland, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Peter Fauland

Peter Fauland New to FujiXspot

Nov 8, 2013
    Berlin
    Dear all,

Using several X-cams (quite often during one shoot) I would love to get rid of the DSF... prefix and use e.g. the number 1000 for one and 2000 for another camera and so on. Ending with a filename like 10001234.RAF instead of _DSF1234.RAF. I tried the renaming on the Computer and copying back-trick, but this seems not to work ...

How are you handling a situation like this ?

Cheers,

Peter

2. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    You can basically set each camera to start with any file number you want. You can find step-by-step instructions in chapter 1.

However, it's not possible to change the prefix. Personally, I simply store the RAWs from each camera in a different folder on my Mac.

3. Peter Fauland

Peter Fauland New to FujiXspot

Nov 8, 2013
    Berlin
    image name structure

Hi,

Thanks, for your fast response.

I was expecting this. My reason for not doing this is, that I want to keep the total numbers of folders on my server low (as low as possible). One shoot goes in one folder. Having used two different cameras still make all images belong to this particular shoot. With my Canon cameras all files had already the "correct" file names even before importing them.

Not a big problem, thou. Maybe a future firmware update will offer the possibility of individual file names ?!

Cheers,

Peter

4. porchard

porchard FujiXspot Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Devon, UK
    If you're prepared to put in the work, you could transfer files to a "holding" folder on the computer, and then batch rename using Faststone Image Viewer, before moving to their intended destination. Faststone is a very capable freeware utility, which makes tasks such as this very easy.

5. flysurfer

flysurfer X-Pert

Feb 1, 2013
    Nuremberg
    Rico Pfirstinger
    Yep, most programs offer batch rename on import, somthis should not be much of an issue on the PC side of things.

Lightroom, Aperture and other programs do not need a folder structure on thr HD, anyway. I simply store all RAWs from one camera in one folder and use Aperture to actually organize everything in its catalogue.