Roki 12 2.0 and Godox

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tim Williams, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Tim Williams

Tim Williams Twilli53 Subscribing Member

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Ok. Vacation is here and I'm about to pull the trigger on the Roki 12mm 2.0 and the Godox 685 with wireless trigger. Happy to get this and get back to shooting. Been idle too long. I have other flash systems but none dedicated to Fuji.

• Like Like x 2
  2. AndyMcD

AndyMcD FujiXspot Regular

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    I'm very interested to hear how you get on with the Godox Tim, I'm in the market for a decent TTL flash and the Godox looks good (plus I like the look of their off-camera capabilities too).

3. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Looking forward to this also Andy. I am by no means a flash master but I can get by. I've heard mixed reviews on the ease of setup on these. I'll know soon. I am getting the 685 TTL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    I've been yammering about that Rokinon 12 more or less since I bought it 3 (?) years ago. I like it more and more as time passes. Easily the second most used lens for me these days, possibly #1.

There was no TTL option for Fuji when I got my 2 flash + controller setup from Yonguo, but I've really enjoyed using it when I get a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Godox came in today. Hopefully I can give it a go tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    My Godox comes on Tuesday - I have to take indoor pictures on Tuesday evening, so I decided to take the plunge. Will possibly look at getting another one and the controller next month.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Ok , finally got to try out the Godox 685. Didn't have to update firmware but haven't got a full grasp on it yet. It goes flash and light up things. Haven't gotten out with it to give it a full run. Going to have more time this week end I hope. Hope your doing better with yours Andy.

8. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Mine arrived this afternoon. Struggled for the first hour or so and then realised that I needed to upgrade the X-T1 firmware.

Used it for some pictures at Sea Cadets this evening and it seemed to do okay. Still need to work out how to get it to hold onto the settings that I've entered, but the flash definitely seems to be doing its main job

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Well looking at the Fuji site some how I missed 5.30. Guess I'd better get that before having another go with this thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Yup, me too - skipped those updates because they were just for flash compatibility

11. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Auto zoom wasn't working for me - the flash locked to 12mm. Turns out it was the diffuser panel wasn't pushed fully home, so it was defaulted to widest setting.

I think I see how to get it to remember my settings - just need to figure out the X-T1 parts of the puzzle now.

I have ordered an X1T flash trigger and will try that out next (should arrive tomorrow).

12. KillRamsey

KillRamsey Super Moderator

Feb 15, 2013
    Hood River, OR
    Kyle
    You guys are making me feel better about having manual-only flashes. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    I have the X1T trigger. After going through the directions :dash2: I went straight to YouTube. Got it operating as it should I believe.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    To be honest Kyle, I still feel more confident with my manual flash guns Lol. I know what they will do when I pull the trigger. I'm sure I will learn to trust this thing after I get the quirks worked out. My Nikon TTL system was easier to set up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Looking forward to trying this off camera, and possibly adding another couple (maybe another 685 and a 350, or two 350s). In the meantime, I have to make do with on camera...

XT1A5746-Edit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Very nice Andy. I agree on camera this flash works great. It's when I use the X1T trigger that things get sketchy. Still working on it.

17. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    First test with it off camera - using manual (1/128)
    XT1A5765.
    Changed to TTL:
    XT1A5769.
    I'm quite excited about being able to use it for controlling multiple off camera flashes in manual mode, but definitely interested in working out how TTL will work off camera.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    Looks like your on the right track.

19. Tim Williams

May 31, 2017
    Central Florida, USA
    Tim Williams
    DSCF1328-Edit-L. On camera TTL auto zoom, early this A.M. 18-55 @ 3.8. It works off camera but I can't get TTL, only manual slave.

• Like Like x 2
  20. AndyMcD

Jul 15, 2017
    East Midlands, UK
    Off camera TTL - trying to understand what it does...

XT1A5791.

• Like Like x 1